starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reset each rep for the overhead press

Default Reset each rep for the overhead press

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm reading the topic in Q&A right now and Mark is talking about BBT3 suggests a reset before each rep in the overhead press.

What does this mean? Resetting your gip?
    I just read this chapter last week and don't recall this part. Maybe I skimmed over it or something.

you don't use the stretch reflex and when you lower the weight down, you're not yet in the proper start position so you have to "reset"

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    you don't use the stretch reflex and when you lower the weight down, you're not yet in the proper start position so you have to "reset"
    Ah ok, simple enough. Sounds brutal, I am not going to enjoy pressing without the stretch to help lol.

but to be fair, Rip also suggest using hip drive to start the press..pretty much an olympic press

It sounds brutal, but it's actually a much better technique. It's quite the skill being able to press a heavy weight all the way over your head in an anatomically correct fashion (proper form, bar over midfoot, recruiting more muscles, etc). The stretch reflex tends to make your form a bit sloppy as the weights get heavy. Don't be afraid to use the layback.

Quote Originally Posted by forgeforth View Post
    Don't be afraid to use the layback.
    and drive with the hips like he describes in the book?

I tend to rest the bar on the upper portion of my chest and possibly reset on each rep because I'm struggling with remembering all the cues for proper form. I also stalled out at 95lbs because of a horrific bar path, I'm a week or so into my reset and getting much better drive.

@ Corrie: I just read it last week too and I believe it's in the part where he's talks about when to take your breath. Taking it in the lock out position allows for the stretch reflex, but taking it at the bottom is like doing the first rep again (page 93).
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 01-31-2012 at 08:48 AM.

it confuses me why people think using a stretch reflex makes you have bad form. Bad form is bad form. it's because you're not lifting it right. There IS a right way to use the stretch reflex and if your form sucks, you're doing it wrong.

Don't be afraid to use a tool that will allow you to lift more weight, especially on an exercise that isn't performed in competitions. If you want to once in a while hit a set without the stretch reflex, that's good too. Use both methods to your advantage.

I don't think the stretch reflex in itself makes you have bad form. Having tried both methods, they are both effective. However, with heavier weights I have found the reset at the bottom much more effective, which has allowed me to rely less on bad tendencies. Perhaps it's more suitable for me and not others. At the end of the day, it's all about making the exercise more effective so that we can add more weight and get stronger. In my opinion, the reset at the bottom is better at achieving these ends. This doesn't mean I won't use the stretch reflex anymore. I used it for years and still use it, especially on recovery days. I think it's just a matter of nit-picking after having done both. They are both correct, but kudos to Rip for continuing to reflect upon his methodologies.

common sense dictates using the reset at the bottom for lower reps, and the stretch reflex for higher reps.

for 5's, do whatever's most comfortable. you could always start off the set with the hip technique an then use the stretch for the last 4, or if you get gassed mid-set you can reset and try to grind your reps out

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    common sense dictates using the reset at the bottom for lower reps, and the stretch reflex for higher reps.
    Why is this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast