starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift frequency starting strength

Default deadlift frequency starting strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey, I'm on the advanced novice version of starting strength. Front squat and deadlifts on Wednesday. Squats and chins ups on Mondays and Fridays. Numbers: SQ 300x3x5, DL 330x1x5, Bench 175x3x5, Press 130x3x5, Front SQ 220x3x5 (I don't powerclean).

My problem is that I'm unable to deadlift on Wednesdays. My lower back and glutes feel fatigued. Two weeks ago I DL 330 for 5 reps. This week I squatting (high bar) 300 3 sets 5 reps on Monday. On Wednesday I front SQ 220 3x5, but I was unable to DL 265 of the floor. Squatting I've been consistently making progress, but I'm too fatigued to do DL. Instead I opted to SLDL on Wednesday for 3 sets 5 reps. Could this be due to heavy front squatting on Wednesday?

As squats are progressing I was thinking of dropping deadlifts, and doing SLDL alternated weekly with RDL. Thoughts?

Try dropping the front squats next Wednesday and just doing some light/easy back squats for 3x5. See if your DL improves.

Yeah, sensible solution. Thanks. So light squats around 80 percent of monday squats?

Question. What is the purpose of light squats on wednesday? Supposedly it's to aid with recoverer. But would not squatting on wednesday prevent me from making the 5 pound squat increases on mondays and fridays?

Also, would making wednesday a dl only day (plus the press/bench) be sufficient?

Thanks for the repsonse.

Quote Originally Posted by yogurt View Post
    Yeah, sensible solution. Thanks. So light squats around 80 percent of monday squats?

Question. What is the purpose of light squats on wednesday? Supposedly it's to aid with recoverer. But would not squatting on wednesday prevent me from making the 5 pound squat increases on mondays and fridays?

Also, would making wednesday a dl only day (plus the press/bench) be sufficient?

Thanks for the repsonse.
    Aids with recovery and maintains form for a beginner. But yeah, plenty of guys have gotten by by dropping the Weds squat. Just have to try each way and see what you like best