starting strength gym

Thread: How should I do my programming? Novice or intermediate?

Default How should I do my programming? Novice or intermediate?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I first started SS 2 years ago and ran my LP to something like this:

OHP/BP/SQ/DL:
    130/195/290/355 @ 180 lbs ~20 % BF

then went on to TM and got to:
    147.5/230/330/375 @ 193 lbs ~25 % BF

All until I ended up screwing up all my gains by messing around with girls/alcohol/other stuff, now I'm back down to:

125/170/225/185 @ 170 lbs ~18% BF

So I want to know if I should downgrade to novice programming or stay on intermediate? And if I downgrade to novice programming, which part should I do? The classic A/B workouts with no chins? Or the ones with chins + back extensions? And should I be doing a light squat day mid-week?

Here are pics: First pic (where I'm fat) was at the end of my TM run where I was much stronger. Second pic is where I'm at now.

1)

2)

Easy. Run the novice progression until you get your numbers back up. You'll know when your LP potential is ending and it's time to transfer over to TM.

As far as which LP to do, they are extremely similar, so in the long run it's not terribly important. I'd say DL/PC on A/B for a while to make up some fast progress. Then do the advanced version with the chins included later. Maybe do light squats on Wednesdays once you near the end of the LP.

Ultimately, you'll be back to the TM much quicker than it took you to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Easy. Run the novice progression until you get your numbers back up. You'll know when your LP potential is ending and it's time to transfer over to TM.

As far as which LP to do, they are extremely similar, so in the long run it's not terribly important. I'd say DL/PC on A/B for a while to make up some fast progress. Then do the advanced version with the chins included later. Maybe do light squats on Wednesdays once you near the end of the LP.

Ultimately, you'll be back to the TM much quicker than it took you to get there.
    Sounds like a plan. Also was wondering if I could get diet advice? Is it fine to stay around maintenance and not gain weight like a novice (eg GOMAD)

Did your deadlift really drop from 375 to 185? Is that due to injury? Or did you mean to write 285?

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Did your deadlift really drop from 375 to 185? Is that due to injury? Or did you mean to write 285?
    Well actually I've really never done the deadlift with proper form. My best DL is 375x5 but with a rounded back, so I kinda don't want to even count that as my best DL. I can do 185 easily with great form now and I'm too worried if I jump up too fast out of greed the weight will get too heavy and my form will become bad again.

Quote Originally Posted by pyaarawala View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Also was wondering if I could get diet advice? Is it fine to stay around maintenance and not gain weight like a novice (eg GOMAD)
    You're probably not a candidate for GOMAD at this point, but you'll still need enough food to recover from your workouts as they get harder. You'll probably cruise pretty easily for the first few weeks since you're just regaining lost strength. During this time, you can get by with less-than-ideal recovery. As things get harder and you approach your old PR's, food intake will play a big role again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    You're probably not a candidate for GOMAD at this point, but you'll still need enough food to recover from your workouts as they get harder. You'll probably cruise pretty easily for the first few weeks since you're just regaining lost strength. During this time, you can get by with less-than-ideal recovery. As things get harder and you approach your old PR's, food intake will play a big role again.
    Yeah you're right. My squat is already getting hard at 230x5x3 and press at 125x5x3. Which is pretty sad. I'm not doing GOMAD but I'm still focusing on eating properly. I'm drinking more milk here and there and trying not to eat too much unnecessary food like pizza or fried chicken.