starting strength gym

Thread: Chins every minute on the minute

Default Chins every minute on the minute

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Andy,

I saw in your log that you did 3 X 10 chins with short rest. So today, I did 11 rounds of 2Xchins every minute, on the minute. Since those seemed easy, I did more: 3x for three minutes.

I realized that this really increased my volume. Normally, I do 4 - 5 sets of 4 - 8 reps, depending on how I feel, and end up with a total rep count of around 20 (usually 3 min rest between sets). Today, the total was 30 or so (I think I only managed 2 of 3 on the very last set).

Is this a good thing? I figure volume is volume. I chin Tuesdays and Thursdays. I may start adding weight to Tuesday's, and do 3 -4 sets of five. Or should I try to up my rep count per set?

Thanks!

Just depends on how heavy I am. Chinning strength varies wildly with bodyweight. So if I'm too heavy then I'll just do lots of sets and low reps

FYI

At one point in time I did 50 chin ups in sets of 2s and 3s twice weekly at a BW of about 220#. I got a lot better at chin ups but started developing over use elbow strains after about a month.

Ya, 25 sets of 2 is a lot. If you can only get 2 I'd probably set your target total around 15-20