starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck with bar&body weights

Default Stuck with bar&body weights

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi coach,

I am 30 yo, weight 160lb, 6 ft, low body fat %. No particular sport experience before.
    I started working out about a year ago first following Stuart McRobert's program, then passed to Stronglifts 5x5 and three months ago finally found out about SS. I've been doing Practical Programming Novice so far.
    My problem is my body weight doesn't increase, I gained only 5lb in the past year and I am stuck at:

Squat: 185lb
    Deadlift: 200lb
    Bench Press:160lb

I have deloaded a couple of times, but every time I reach the above weights I get stuck. I thought this is due either to the little increase in my body weight or I reached intermediate level (even though my results are very poor). Anyway this is very demotivating, I know I need to increase my intake of calories anyway and GOMAD, and I am trying, but 5lb is all I get for now.
    So I wanted an advice, should I kind of stop going back and forth with the weight on the bar until my own weight increases or should I start doing the Texas method?

My squat video:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...171#post529171

Quote Originally Posted by atb View Post
    Hi coach,

I am 30 yo, weight 160lb, 6 ft, low body fat %. No particular sport experience before.
    I started working out about a year ago first following Stuart McRobert's program, then passed to Stronglifts 5x5 and three months ago finally found out about SS. I've been doing Practical Programming Novice so far.
    My problem is my body weight doesn't increase, I gained only 5lb in the past year and I am stuck at:

Squat: 185lb
    Deadlift: 200lb
    Bench Press:160lb

I have deloaded a couple of times, but every time I reach the above weights I get stuck. I thought this is due either to the little increase in my body weight or I reached intermediate level (even though my results are very poor). Anyway this is very demotivating, I know I need to increase my intake of calories anyway and GOMAD, and I am trying, but 5lb is all I get for now.
    So I wanted an advice, should I kind of stop going back and forth with the weight on the bar until my own weight increases or should I start doing the Texas method?

My squat video:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...171#post529171
    Dude. It's like you came from the sky to prove Rip and Reynold's point about abz guys.

Read this article and then the discussion http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=34805

To preview it for you... go to the store. Get some food. Eat it. Do that repeatedly and your weight will go up. If it doesn't, do it more.

Read the "A Clarification article" that's in Resources -> Articles.

[edit: removed links to the calorie partitioning articles on bodyrecomposition.com because they'd just confuse the message here. ]
    Last edited by veryhrm; 10-28-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Dude. It's like you came from the sky to prove Rip and Reynold's point about abz guys.

Read this article and then the discussion http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=34805

To preview it for you... go to the store. Get some food. Eat it. Do that repeatedly and your weight will go up. If it doesn't, do it more.
    ]
    Easy to say than do...
    I have an office job, where I can't eat during the day (except lunch time obviously), even drinking milk looks a bit weird, so all I can do is to eat three times a day as much as I can - what I am doing. And still...
    And again, I didn't workout much before, so I am 160 not because I want to have abz, this is just genetics dude...

Quote Originally Posted by atb View Post
    Easy to say than do...
    I have an office job, where I can't eat during the day (except lunch time obviously), even drinking milk looks a bit weird, so all I can do is to eat three times a day as much as I can - what I am doing. And still...
    And again, I didn't workout much before, so I am 160 not because I want to have abz, this is just genetics dude...
    Yep, nothing weirder than drinking milk. DON'T GET CAUGHT!!!!

I think the only reasonable choice here is to give up. These challenges seem insurmountable.

I take an electric grill to work to cook steak, lamb or burger patties. Every calls me strange. No fucks given.

No one can stop you from eating or drinking, while working. No exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    No one can stop you from eating or drinking, while working. No exceptions.
    Yeah, for example you go to a bank to do a transaction and you see the guy seating there and eating rice or a chicken... Happen so often right?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I think the only reasonable choice here is to give up. These challenges seem insurmountable.
    Surely they are not insurmountable, but they are to be taken into consideration...
    What I asked here was an advice given the above mentioned circumstances, no need of your f.g irony, mate.
    Last edited by atb; 03-24-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast