starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-diabetic and concerned about nutrition. You might be too!

Default Pre-diabetic and concerned about nutrition. You might be too!

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello all,

I am a 27 year old, 175lb healthy man.

I have two Type 1 diabetic friends so I had the chance to screw around with their blood glucose meters. The numbers weren't good. After getting serious about the testing, I now know that I am on the cusp between "normal" and "pre-diabetes." Fasting blood sugar in the high 90s and it comes back down too slowly after meals. Everyone I tell this too is shocked because I look good, don't eat sweets and have a pretty regimented whole foods diet (for the most part)

But I was a big candy bar loving fatty in high school and have a family history of diabetes. I'm coming off a cut, where I was down to 160ish, and am gaining the weight and strength back very fast. Eating big to get big. But now I'm nervous. I worry that no matter the complexity of the carb or source of the calories, eating a huge calorie surplus (which I need to get stronger) is going to be bad for my pancreas.

A huge percentage of Americans are pre-diabetic. Anyone else thinking about this? Insight? Advice? In my searching, I cannot find any useful advice about this for a serious lifter.

Does the size of the meals matter? I prefer a few huge meals vs little ones through the day.

Cassidy

I have no experience with this sort of thing, but perhaps you could buy a blood glucose meter and see how you react to certain foods/amounts of food?

Check this thread:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=34760

Also read Sully's article about lifting being big medicine in the articles section of this site. Lifting is going to help against your diabetic tendencies. If you are really concerned go to a Paleo style diet. Eat big on meat and non- starchy vegetables.

From all the reading I've done carrying too much fat can only lead to bad things.

If you want to land up with a athletic looking women then you too should look athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by cazzzidy View Post
    Hello all,

I am a 27 year old, 175lb healthy man.

I have two Type 1 diabetic friends so I had the chance to screw around with their blood glucose meters. The numbers weren't good. After getting serious about the testing, I now know that I am on the cusp between "normal" and "pre-diabetes." Fasting blood sugar in the high 90s and it comes back down too slowly after meals. Everyone I tell this too is shocked because I look good, don't eat sweets and have a pretty regimented whole foods diet (for the most part)
    Fasting Blood Sugar Level
    http://www.getbloodsugarcontrol.com/...2903&WT.srch=1

You are in the normal range for your fasting blood sugar level.

Whole Foods

Some "whole foods" (primarily carbohydrates) can increase high blood sugar levels.

Glycemic Index
    http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

The glycemic index provide you with a list of foods that can increase blood sugar. David Medosa (a dietetic) provides you with a great site on the glycemic index.

High glycmic index foods spike insulin, meaning too much sugar is in the blood. That not what you want. The exception is before and after a heavy training session with individuals who do NOT have a diatetes problem.

Low glycemic index food do NOT spike insulin. They are more of a time released carbohydrate that trickles in.

Glycemic Load

Another factor (see Mendosa's site above) is glycemic load. That basically means if you consume too much of a moderately high glycemic food, you blood sugar reading will increase.

Proteins and Fats

They really don't increase blood sugar levels.

Fiber

Fiberious vegetables slow down the release of sugar into the blood stream.

Food Combining

Combining proteins, fats and fiber carbohydrates with meals are snacks insure that you maintain a good blood sugar level.

Numerical Example

Let's say we give all the macronutrients glycemic index numbers on a scale of 0-10.

1) Protein is 0.

2) Fats are 0.

3) Fiber Carbohydrates are 4.

We then add them up and get, 4.

Then we divide them by 3 (protein, fats, fiber carbohydrates)

We get 1.33 (4/3).

Low Number

Food combining (as diabetics do) insures there is a minimal increase in your blood sugar reading.

But I was a big candy bar loving fatty in high school and have a family history of diabetes. I'm coming off a cut, where I was down to 160ish, and am gaining the weight and strength back very fast. Eating big to get big. But now I'm nervous. I worry that no matter the complexity of the carb or source of the calories, eating a huge calorie surplus (which I need to get stronger) is going to be bad for my pancreas.
    History of Diabetes

You should be concerned but don't freak out.

A huge percentage of Americans are pre-diabetic. Anyone else thinking about this? Insight? Advice? In my searching, I cannot find any useful advice about this for a serious lifter.
    Projection

The projection is that 1/3 of Americans will have diabetes by 2020.

Pre and Post Workout Nutrition

Spiking insulin (an increase in blood sugar levels) at this time provide an anabolic environment for muscle growth and recovery.

That in part because insulin is an anabolic hormone.

The Rest of The Day

Consume foods that do not spike insulin, keep blood sugar levels in the normal range. Meals will increase blood sugar levels but should drop back to normal within 2 hours.

Insulin is also a fat maker outside the pre and post workout window. That means when you consume high glycemic foods at anytime during the day, you laying down body fat.

Contra-indicated

Anyone with diabetes should NOT spike their insulin at any time.

Does the size of the meals matter? I prefer a few huge meals vs little ones through the day.
    Big Meals

Yes, the size of the meal matters. It goes back to "Glycemic Load".

So, it not only what you eat but how much you eat.

Diabetic Diet

The diabetic diet works for everyone. Again the only exception (for healthy individuals) is the pre and post workout nutrition.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 10-29-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rment View Post
    I have no experience with this sort of thing, but perhaps you could buy a blood glucose meter and see how you react to certain foods/amounts of food?
    That Works

I did that years ago. It was really interesting to see how certain foods either had very little effect on you blood sugar level or drove it into the stratosphere.

The Downside

The downside is the cost. The strips you use are really expensive.

I had acess to a free one, otherwise I'd never have purchased one.

Results

The results I obtain by using a glucometer are on the money with the information I provide on the glycemic index, glycemic load and food combining.

So, if you don't want to shell out some money for glycometer strips, just eat like a diabetic.

The exception for Non-Diabetics is your pre and post workout nutrition.

Kenny Croxdale

I'm not sure how useful this will be, but I lowered my fasting blood sugar from low 90's to low 70's by losing 70 pounds and cutting back on carbs (around 150g a day, sometimes 200). Completely cut milk out of my life too, I was drinking close to a gallon a day and I can only imagine the insulin resistence that was causing.

I wouldn't eat big if I was worried about diabetes though, I don't think it's worth going blind to squat an extra 50 pounds.

Eat less carbs.

Not none, necessarily, but try making sure you don't eat carbs for, say, breakfast and go from there.

I'm a type two diabetic and until I lose more weight (and maybe not even then) the amount of carbs I can eat is essentially zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    I'm not sure how useful this will be, but I lowered my fasting blood sugar from low 90's to low 70's by losing 70 pounds and cutting back on carbs (around 150g a day, sometimes 200).
    Cutting Carbohydrates

While cutting carbohydrates back is important, just as important is the kinds of carbohydrates you cut back on. Not all carbohydrates are the same. There are low, moderate and high glycemic index carbs.

Completely cut milk out of my life too, I was drinking close to a gallon a day and I can only imagine the insulin resistence that was causing.
    Insulin Index

Milk falls into the moderate range of the glycemic index. However, it high on the Insulin Index.

So, cutting milk consumption makes sense.

I wouldn't eat big if I was worried about diabetes though, I don't think it's worth going blind to squat an extra 50 pounds.
    "Eating Big"

What is your definition of that?

Controling Insulin

The key to increasing muscle mass for health individuals is to know when to spike insulin and when to minimize it. I defined that in Post #5.

Kenny Croxdale

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jordan View Post
    Eat less carbs.
    It more about eating less of the wrong carbohydrates.

Not none, necessarily, but try making sure you don't eat carbs for, say, breakfast and go from there.
    Research indicates you body is able to handle carbohydrates more effectively in the morning for breakfast and in the early afternoon.

Your body is less efficient in handling carbohydrates late in the afternoon or evening.

Eat accordingly.

I'm a type two diabetic and until I lose more weight (and maybe not even then) the amount of carbs I can eat is essentially zero.
    More than likely, fiberous carbhohdrates would work. The majority have a lot glycemic index.

Losing weight almost always helps.

Kenny Croxdale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast