starting strength gym

Thread: repetitive neck injury during press

Default repetitive neck injury during press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all, I love the press and I've looked at the proper technique many times. So I think I'm doing it right but it is hard without a coach there all the time especially on the heavy lifts.

Anyway I have been doing the press for nearly a year now and at least once a month I am injuring my neck. It happens during the last few reps of a heavy set and becomes stiff for days. Generally keeping me out of the gym for a week and making normal life quite hard.

Now I've tried resetting weights and concentrating on technique over and over and the same injury happens without fail.

So question is should I just do seated barbell presses for a few months to let the injury fully recover before I attempt the press again or should I keep doing what I'm doing and most likely hurt myself again and again?

You should post a form check to make sure you're pressing properly. There are some common form mistakes that put the neck in danger. Chances are high that you may be committing one of these.

Will do as soon as this neck gets better so hopefully end of the week.

It is also possible that the press isn't the CAUSE of the injury. It may be aggravating an injury that you already have, such as a bulging disc in your neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    It is also possible that the press isn't the CAUSE of the injury. It may be aggravating an injury that you already have, such as a bulging disc in your neck.
    ^This is a very good point.

I have had an MRI and it all appears to be normal. I have a great physio who I see and he didn't pick up anything other then soft tissue injury.

starting strength coach development program
    Try neck strengthening exercises. Bridges or lifting with a harness (that hangs from your head). A strong neck is a good thing.