starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift reset, again?

Question Deadlift reset, again?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all

29, male, 5'11", 84kg (up from 62kg at start of year)

I started training with 40kg and added 5kg each deadlift workout until I reached, probably with poor form, 125kg where I could only lift 1 rep (120kg was very hard but I made all 5 reps).

I then took ~2 months off following an adductor tear (squat was at 87.5kg when I took the break) and deloaded everything significantly as I read, re-read and re-read the book to make sure my form for all lifts was correct.

At the second go I reached 115kg and called technical failure as I was not able to maintain lumbar extension, did a mini reset and added 2.5kg per workout. I've since mini reset three times now at 125kg for the same reason, I can't maintain lumbar extension for the whole set.

During this time my squat has increased to 110kg. I am micro loading bench and press and they continue to increase, 60kg and 40kg respectively.

Do you have any advice on how to proceed? Must I maintain a strict flat back for all reps or do I accept that there will be some form breakdown since I'm working at or very close to my 5rm?

Thanks in advance
    Yas

Form breakdown aree never acceptable. When you are pushing your limits there will be some form breakdown most likely but the goal is solid reps each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Form breakdown aree never acceptable. When you are pushing your limits there will be some form breakdown most likely but the goal is solid reps each time.
    Eric, I'm confused by your reply. You say form breakdown is never acceptable but say some form breakdown is likely when working at your limits. So how do you work at your limits and progress without some from breakdown? If I call failure after two reps because I'm starting to lose some extention, for example, then won't I fall short on stress to cause adaptation?

At the moment, my lumbar extension gradually deteriorates through the set, from a flat back to some rounding by the 5th rep. Shall I reset again?

Ok here is what I think about this. You might want to take it with a grain of salt. For example youtube elite powerlifter ben rice. You will see that he has a pretty bad problem with collapsing forward on his squat sets. The thing is he still manages to make progress even with this problem sense it causes him no pain. Your goal should be to have perfect form and you should always keep that in mind but I wouldn't stop your progress over minor form issues.

Here is the video if you watch his conventional deadlifts you will see he rounds his back as well he competes and pulls more sumo however....http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lFEs3YoUoSg
    Last edited by Eric Larousse; 12-04-2012 at 08:46 AM.