starting strength gym

Thread: My First Snatch

Default My First Snatch

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I tried the power snatch for the first time yesterday. I worked up to 115 lbs for 5 sets of 3 reps. Here is rep 1 of set 2.

For a first attempt, it looks OK to me. I think next time I am going to try to get my hips a bit lower and arch my back a bit harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFoME3x3lX8#t=20s

I guess what surprised me most was how much I enjoyed it. Perhaps it was psychological, doing a new exercise after months of SS, but the whole process was really motivating. I finished feeling more excited than ever to continue my progress, and the idea of a body weight snatch (190 lbs) at 35, that once seeming impossible, now seems like a realistic 6 month goal.

I'd like to see more than a single. From just that little bit of video, you want to work on keeping the bar close to you. Wait just a little longer and hit a little higher. You want to be in this position at the top:

As an aside, many of us enjoy the feeling of good snatch now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I'll always remember my first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I'd like to see more than a single. From just that little bit of video, you want to work on keeping the bar close to you. Wait just a little longer and hit a little higher. You want to be in this position at the top:

Got it, to get the most out of a good snatch, I should hold it close and hit it higher up than usual.