starting strength gym

Thread: Help sitting back on squat - 330lbs

Default Help sitting back on squat - 330lbs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is a set from my TM volume day. I managed two reps at 395lbs on last weeks intensity and I think my form let me down.

How would you rate these squats? To me, it looks like my knees are moving forward too much during the movement. I have been working on it and have seen some improvement but I'm still not happy with them.

Any tips or cues that might help?

My apologies for the angle it was the best I could do.

http://youtu.be/wvoB7plLsh8

Ok, let's see:
    1) Quit making excuses. You had a guy just sitting there the whole set. Hand him the damn phone and tell him what to do. After asking nicely using words like "Help me out," "please," and "thank you." I guess we're going to have move into coaching the social graces now, too.
    2) Once again, I have to tell someone to keep their head down (This comment brought to you by my secret hope that someday we won't have to tell people this on almost every single squat video posted here). Keep your head DOWN. This will probably fix:
    3) HIP DRIVE. You don't show anywhere near enough of it, esp on reps 1-3. Note how when you get tired, you start showing more hip drive. Imagine that!
    4) Set your knees earlier in the rep. You're getting them to the right place, just way to late. The knees should reach their position somewhere in the vicinity of just past the toes during the first 1/2-2/3 of the descent. Once they get there, stop them, KEEP THEM STILL, and then sit back / bend over. As far as cues to do that, either I stand in the gym and yell at you, or you use your giant brain to make yourself do it.