starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded over-training again!

Default The dreaded over-training again!

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It seems I never learn. Word to the wise, Greezers: its all about recovery!

I'm 63 this year, and I ain't getting any younger!

Here is my latest episode. I tore my MCL (left knee) skiing this year. That put me off lower body work for a month. I had just started rehab with high rep, low weight squats when I got this year's flu; in bed for week and very weak for two weeks.

Then I got the bit in my teeth determined to come back. (You get the picture, right!)

I had just started a new job with "startup" hours, so I only had 45 minutes to workout on any given day, so I thought, no problem, I'll do a 4 day split! Squats and pulls on Monday/Thursday and presses on Tuesday/Friday. Every workout less than an hour!

I thought that since each workout was short, I could handle 4 days/week, even though previously I had proven to myself that 2 lifting workouts per week were all I could handle!

8 weeks in I'm making tremendous progress from the necessary big reset. However, I was ignoring the tell-tale signs of over-training: can't sleep through the night, tired after workouts, and worst of all: started being depressed. That was the dead give away. I'm a happy guy. When I get depressed its a sure sign of over-training.

Damn! The only cure is rest and the resulting big reset. I took a whole week off and then restarted. This time I'm keeping the 4 day split, but I'm only working out 3 days a week and see how it goes. This is how it works: A, B, A on week one. B, A, B on week two. Repeat. That means I'll only squat once on the B, A, B weeks. That should ease the stress enough to allow for 3 days a week.

Wish me luck!

I wish you many blessings and it is good to hear from you although I wish the message was more positive. I take a little cough medicine at night (Nyquil) so I sleep better. It might help you. My sons worry that this will become addictive. All I know is that a tablespoon of Nyquil helps me sleep. At my age who cares about the potential addictiveness?

I wish the best for you and hope we meet someday.

Getting older is a rearguard battle the likes of which even someone like Wellington would be daunted by. I have been battling the bad sleep, the depression, and the evening fatigue on days when I stretch my stasis boundaries kind of like you describe. Which is 6 days a week for me; what with lifting, cardio, and MA.

But with all that, it's better to continue to challenge yourself right where you are right now, than to settle and pull in your head and limbs like a turtle and hope for the best.

While I'm still significantly younger than you, I've made my share of dumb decisions when it comes to both training and work on our little farm here. Battled a week of what felt like a bottomless pit of depression and fatigue earlier this year, after I wisely decided to dig a new vegetable field (nearly 500 square feet) using a shovel, all the while working out 3-4 times a week, holding a steady job and trying to care for the family. I paid for that with two whole days flat out in bed, barely bothering to get up to pee.

What I took away from it is to respect my limits, better knowledge of how those limits feel and what leads up to them, and a loathing for shovels. A beautiful irony has been that I've had to shovel more in my job these last months than ever before... I did not do a big reset after this, which has worked out surprisingly well. I think that even though it might feel like all strength has completely left you, it's still in there. The depression really makes you fear the weight, and the thought of that black feeling of nothingness returning really makes hitting the weights a tough experience.

All the best to you, and stay tough. The strength is still in there!

I don't actually yell at the bar but when I wish to overcome my self doubt, which is normal for anyone who isn't a Narcissistic Sociopath, I simply dare the bar to disobey my will. It doesn't always work but it often does. Even when it doesn't it's fun to imagine that I have mastery over something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Getting older is a rearguard battle the likes of which even someone like Wellington would be daunted by. I have been battling the bad sleep, the depression, and the evening fatigue on days when I stretch my stasis boundaries kind of like you describe. Which is 6 days a week for me; what with lifting, cardio, and MA.

But with all that, it's better to continue to challenge yourself right where you are right now, than to settle and pull in your head and limbs like a turtle and hope for the best.
    Hey, Mark. Thanks for all of your encouragement over the almost 3 years I've been on this board. I'm in no way gonna pull my head and limbs in, but I'm also not going to accept that depression is the cost strength. A lot of your exercise is your play. Play is important. I wish I had more of it these days, but with a start-up to run, I just barely have enough time to keep the strength going so I can live strong and healthy. But anyway, maybe a little depression is the cost you pay for all the great play times you get. But for me, depression is just not worth it. I've got to be "up" when I go pitch customers or VCs. So, in this case, I'm not going to exactly take your advice. I'm going to scale back just a bit. I'm sure I can still get good strength gains, maybe even more over time, by staying below the depression threshold. ;-)

You have to try to do what you think you can. With that said, maybe some more.

Don't let yourself be limited to your own boundaries, as you perceive them to be now.

Which is easy for me to say.

Nonetheless, keep striving.

Gene, what Mark said is so true. I am forced to take long breaks between workouts for a number of reasons. I found that at our age a break can be helpful. Any reset can be recovered quickly. I keep reminding myself why I am lifting. If the barbell medicine works I keep doing it, even if the dosage is sporadic. Regardless of the frequency, you are better off doing what you are doing than not. Good luck with your new schedule.

Hey Gene,
    Sounds to me like your sleeplessness and depression could be more rooted in the startup than weight training. I've been down the same path with a startup, chasing capital, wearing all hats, even falling into depression. Since you probably can't slow down on the biz side I'd recommend dialing back expectations on the training side and lift with the goal of clearing your head and relieving stress, creating physical exhaustion that will help you sleep well and wake up ready to pursue your chosen mission.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Bestafter60; 07-07-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, Guys! I'm feeling great and slept all night last night. Sooo, it must be time to workout again! Just had a great session: squats and pull ups. Admittedly the squats were light because I'm still doing the rehab on my left knee MCL tear, but I feel good after the workout instead of tired. Good sign!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast