starting strength gym

Thread: driving adaptation thru more reps vs. more weight

Default driving adaptation thru more reps vs. more weight

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Is it possible to overload and to drive an adaptation thru the use of more reps in sets rather than an incremental increase in weight? For instance, using dumbells on a benching program say the 100lb dumbells are the heaviest I have access to and that is my 10 RM. Using the program like the Texas Method, for my volume day could I do 5 x 6 and push for a new rep max on my intensity day? For the next volume day, could I just try to shoot for 1x7 and then 4x6? And maybe shoot for an 11RM on my next intensity day? Is it possible to periodize a bench program using dumbells exclusively?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

This is all in the book. The short answer is that high-rep dumbbell periodization has a lower ceiling because (1) dumbbells cannot be incrementally loaded like a barbell, and (2) it's much harder to add weight to high-rep sets than low-rep sets. I'll add a third...it's not easy to get heavy dumbbells into position...it's fairly easy to unrack a heavy barbell.

So will your programming work? Sure...but not for very long, and it won't be very effective for strength development.