starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'd love some feedback about my squats, please.

I'm only doing a high bar squat right now due to fairly inflexible shoulders (though they're getting better!) and I have a real problem forming a proper scapular shelf due to the "padding" on my back. I'm going to eventually do low bar... I think.

Height: 6'1''
    Weight: 350

I started SS last December but a couple of injuries have slowed my linear progress a bit since then. For the last couple of months, I've been doing a slightly modified version of SS due to work schedule, age, and a desire to lose some weight while hanging onto my precious precious gains. I actually think I've got quite a bit more linear progress to go, but I've just been taking it real slow. Yes, I'm a pussy.

Current Lifts:

Squats = 290x5x3

Deadlift = 300x5x3
    (Deadlifts have been off the menu for the last three weeks since I broke my right fifth metacarpal. Should be back at them in a couple more weeks.)

OHP = Was 190x5x3 but have been doing only 175x5x3 since broken hand. Just trying to maintain until hand is healthy again.

Bench = Was 240x5x3 but have been doing only 225x5x3 since broken hand. Just trying to maintain until hand is healthy again.

Here's the last set of 285x5x3. I filmed this last week which is why the weight is less than current working sets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M54h...ature=youtu.be

You need to stay tighter. Don't allow your back to round at the bottom. Also, it looks like the weight may be shifting on to your toes as you start your ascent. Getting a pair of lifting shoes, driving your knees out more, and concentrating on keeping the weight over your midfoot should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You need to stay tighter. Don't allow your back to round at the bottom. Also, it looks like the weight may be shifting on to your toes as you start your ascent. Getting a pair of lifting shoes, driving your knees out more, and concentrating on keeping the weight over your midfoot should help.
    Yeah, keeping tight is something I really need to work on. Are you talking about the upper or lower part of my back rounding? I know I have some "butt wink" but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Rippetoe thinks people worry too much about that. Maybe I'm wrong about that?
    If it's my upper back rounding, I'll focus on keeping my chest up and keeping my back nice and tight.

I do need to get some real shoes. I've been trying to avoid it but I guess I need to commit or shaddup.

Thanks the help!

Lower back, mostly. Butt wink isn't a useful term, so its usage is best avoided. Lumbar flexion is something to be avoided during the squat.