starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Squat: Volume to Intensity Ratio

Default Texas Method Squat: Volume to Intensity Ratio

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Just now realized that my Volume to Intensity Ratio on the TM progression is off. Last week Volume day was 290x5x5, and Intensity day was 325x5. This week I was going to bump Volume to 295x5x5, with Intensity at 330x5.

My question: Am I better off sticking with my planned jumps to 295 and 330 this week, and repeating 295 for volume the next week while increasing Intensity to 335, repeat 295 again the week after and bump Intensity to 340, then go to 300 for V and 345 for I, week after that 300 for V and 350 for I, at which point I would be at the recommended 85% ratio?

Or, should I deload to 280 (85% of Intensity day) to avoid burnout?

Thanks,

Joe

The percentages are just guidelines. I watch bar speed and form as my primary indicators. A totally accurate answer would require me to coach you through both days. If your volume day is a massive grind then you might consider scaling it back a bit in the interest of long term progress on the program.

Thanks Andy. Right now the WOs (V and I) both seem pretty easy, compared to what I remember from finishing up LP. Since I am not suffering too badly, I think I will continue with a 90% ratio for now.

On another note, I am 36. I saw in another thread that you recommend a four day split for those of us with the geezer syndrome. I almost took offense to that, but then I had my V WO on Monday, in 85+ degree heat in my garage. I am now considering a four day split, at least for the summer. And big box fans, lots of them. The Charleston, SC area is a killer with heat indexes. If I'm thinking it's bad now, I can't wait until July/August. Definitely three shirt WOs.

Thanks again,

Joe