starting strength gym

Thread: Squat 275 last set, how can i ensure i get my knees out at the bottom

Default Squat 275 last set, how can i ensure i get my knees out at the bottom

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Today i squatted 275 for 3x5, the weight felt okay but i noticed a recently occur issuing now that i fixed my bar path. Namely that i am not hitting depth every time, i am assuming this is due to not getting my knees out far enough. After this set i did 275 for 1 with a focus on my knees out and i clearly hit depth, is there a way i could ensure i get my knees out far enough outside of just attempting?

Ok. Think about the sequence of your knees and your hips. Your knees move pretty much throughout the squat. Get them out hard first, and then shove your ass backwards. Imagine a door behind you and open it. Keep your knees out hard through the bottom of the squat, and then drive up with your hips.

That's what I would tell you to do. Here is why: your knees are drifting forward, and then back as you rise up. This leads the bar to come forward, even now. Let the knees be the anchor that you rotate around at the bottom. Then your hips will come straight up, and your bar path will remain vertical. Check the pictures in the book for the sequence, and pay attention to the knees and hips.

Watch your eyes, as well.

I understand what you mean entirely and will definitely work on it, the only issue i had before this was i would lean forward after i broke at my knees to descend. I'm assuming its a fine balance where i get my knees to their end range of flexion(ie about an inch over my toes) then i should hip hinge backwards if i'm understanding this right, is that correct?

Remember, the bar has to stay over your feet. So, for your hips to close as much as we'd like, and for the bar to stay over the feet, we need to send the hips back. Don't worry about how far your knees go forward, just get them where they are going to go fast. Am I right that you are a long-torsoed dude? Then your knees will be farther forward than most people. But we want them to get there and get set, wherever there is.

Yea i do have a pretty long torso for someone as tall as i am (5'9"). I'll get my knees as far forward as possible, i think what was happening is that i was "sitting down" and not "sitting back" and by sitting down i let my knees slide forward. I'm going to lift today with your cues in mind and i'll post an update video.

Sorry for being a bit late, but here is the update video like i previously mentioned. I started to over think my knees going forward and psyched myself out of the first two sets, i went 4 reps then 3, but i rested a tad more for the third set and focused my mind on hitting five. I hit five, i just have to not be intimidated by the weight i guess. How are my knees in this video?

If i'm not screaming "KNEES OUT KNEES OUT KNEES OUT KNEES OUT MOTHER@#)(R" in my head the whole time they're not out.

So sometimes they're not out. It works when I think about it. Think about it.

starting strength coach development program
    Better, don't you think? You could stand to sit back even more. I know it feels like you are going to fall backward, but, the bar over the feet will pin you to the floor.

Take afatgoat's advice, too. But do it all the way through the bottom of the squat.

Watch your first videos, and then these, and see if you see the difference.