starting strength gym

Thread: Quadriceps tendinitis & nearing end of LP

Default Quadriceps tendinitis & nearing end of LP

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello coaches! Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback. This is a 390x5 squat.

YouTube

I got hip surgery back in May to repair a torn labrum and I've been on LP to get back (and I'm now hitting new PRs on everything). Squats are still on LP. Everything else has changed to intermediate

I've been struggling with some quadriceps tendinitis (right above the patella) for a while now (probably a solid 8-10 weeks at varying pain levels). Last Tuesday I couldn't get this weight at all because my knees hurting. Today they felt pretty good and it gave me hope that I can continue on the LP!

Do y'all see anything here that needs attention? I know I've been struggling maintaining thoracic extension (really bad on rep 3).

male, 24yo, 6'2", 250lbs if it helps.

Your squats look quite good. Your stance is a touch wide, which results in a slightly more vertical shin than I would normally recommend, but, overall, you have a good squat. Cue yourself elbows down as you ascend to fight the thoracic extension issues. Also think of keeping your shoulder blades pinched back together. Quad tendinitis is a bitch. Fortunately, it is not that common. Unfortunately, it is very hard to get rid of. I have more to say on this, but lack the time. I suggest tackling it now before it really sets in. Isometrics and slow eccentrics, potentially to pins, are probably in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Your squats look quite good. Your stance is a touch wide, which results in a slightly more vertical shin than I would normally recommend, but, overall, you have a good squat. Cue yourself elbows down as you ascend to fight the thoracic extension issues. Also think of keeping your shoulder blades pinched back together. Quad tendinitis is a bitch. Fortunately, it is not that common. Unfortunately, it is very hard to get rid of. I have more to say on this, but lack the time. I suggest tackling it now before it really sets in. Isometrics and slow eccentrics, potentially to pins, are probably in your future.
    Thanks for the feedback, Tom! I'll follow your recommendations and start adding in some eccentrics and play around with lowering them to pins.

Would you suggest that I back off on DL intensity too during this time? DLs don't really bother my tendinitis much and I'd like to train something heavy during this time lol

I would deadlift as normal provided it does not bother your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I would deadlift as normal provided it does not bother your knees.
    Thanks again Tom! You do great work here and it's very much appreciated!