starting strength gym

Thread: Which belt to get? SBD or Wahlanders?

Default Which belt to get? SBD or Wahlanders?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey all

I am looking for a new powerlifting belt and at current i have narrowed it down to either the SBD belt or a double prong quick release Wahlander.
    I am 176cm tall(5'77) and weigh about 74kg(163 lbs). i currently have a cheap double prong quick release, 10mm thick belt, which i am looking to replace.

The SBD belt is a 13mm lever belt, and the wahlander is whatever thickness i would like. First off, how thick do you recon it should be? I figure the thicker the better, but i have heard that the thicker belts can be rather uncomftable as a lighter lifter.
    The belts roughly costs the same, so price is not a matter of subject.

So what are your thoughts?

What do you like or dislike anything about your current belt? Do you want a lever belt or do you like the double prong quick release? What are you looking to accomplish with the upgrade (stiffer belt? better quality? try a lever?)

For the price of an SBD, you can have 2-3 Really nice belts.. though many folks love the SBD. In my opinion, everybody should start/own a nice 10mm single prong belt, and go from there. Rogue makes a nice one, and of course, Pioneer/General Leathercraft is heavily recommended as well for their great build quality. I have a 10mm single prong (Rogue) and 10mm lever (Pioneer) and I actually prefer the single prong.. it's just more comfortable. I'm pretty thin (150 lbs) and the overlap on the 10mm lever belt can be bothersome, plus it's a bit stiffer than my 10mm single prong (different brands).

I want a higher quality belt, and a bit thicker too. But where in the 11-13mm range i am not 100% certain. As for the locking mechanism: I like the double prong quick release, but lever would be fun to try out(hence SBD for smart lever system). I have tried a 10mm lever(strength shop), where i coudn't feel the overlap, so just curious as to how it would feel w. 13mm.

I live in europe, so i prefer belts where shipping itself isn't half the cost. It has to be IPF approved too, forgot to mention, which i recon the rogue belt is not.

The SBD might be the most beautifully finished belt I have seen. It is very well made. The lever mechanism it has is pretty cool, too. I can tell you that you will be unlikely to be disappointed in how the SBD is put together. It is rather pricey and I don't know that you will find it any more supportive than another belt of comparable thickness. Best Belts are IPF approved and are also very well made. Not sure what international shipping is like on them. Might not make them much cheaper than an SBD. I realize that does not answer your question, but the SBD is genuinely nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The SBD might be the most beautifully finished belt I have seen. It is very well made. The lever mechanism it has is pretty cool, too. I can tell you that you will be unlikely to be disappointed in how the SBD is put together. It is rather pricey and I don't know that you will find it any more supportive than another belt of comparable thickness. Best Belts are IPF approved and are also very well made. Not sure what international shipping is like on them. Might not make them much cheaper than an SBD. I realize that does not answer your question, but the SBD is genuinely nice.
    Thanks for the input Tom. Good to know the quality is excellent on the SBD.

Had a cheaper 10mm single prong quick release zuluglove which I liked but the holes started to stretch badly so I upgraded to the Wahlander. If you like quick release belts, which are objectively the superior belt design (suck it lever belt plebs), then it'll probably be the last belt you ever need to buy. After 2 years the only wear and tear is 100% cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh K View Post
    Had a cheaper 10mm single prong quick release zuluglove which I liked but the holes started to stretch badly so I upgraded to the Wahlander. If you like quick release belts, which are objectively the superior belt design (suck it lever belt plebs), then it'll probably be the last belt you ever need to buy. After 2 years the only wear and tear is 100% cosmetic.
    Other than you claiming quick release to be better, WHY do you think it is better?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    +1 on Best Belts. They were a pleasure to deal with during the purchase and I am more than happy with the 2.5" powerlifting belt I picked up for DL & PC. I still have a budget 4" I use for squats but plan on upgrading it to a Best Belt Athlete sometime soon. fyi- I'm a newbie (lifting for 1.5 years) and Best Belts is my only experience with a high quality belt. I'm quickly becoming a gear nerd though.