starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Powerlifting Lifts

Default WTF Powerlifting Lifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've never understood why powerlifting competitions use bench press instead of the press.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all. Squats, yep. Deadlifts, yep. Bench press, wtf?

Surely from a symmetry perspective it would have to be a press instead? Why would powerlifters do one lift in one direction without another in the opposite?

I'm just mouthing off here.

You have to understand the history of the sport. There's more to it than just a logical (?) analysis of the movements. For example, explain cricket to us Yanks.

Because powerlifting seeks to be the most boring spectator sport possible.

And in that they have succeeded fantastically. I am amused every time somebody types about powerlifting in the Olympics. Right: another high-medal-count sport plagued by steroid/PED use that's far less interesting to watch than curling, and that features hairy, threatening, patriarchy-embracing men, and women of often-questionable sympathies. Right. Start saving for those Olympic venue tickets TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have to understand the history of the sport. There's more to it than just a logical (?) analysis of the movements. For example, explain cricket to us Yanks.
    A bat and ball sport that lasts five days (there are of course breaks for "lunch" and "tea"). There is a strong chance that no team will actually win after all of this but no one seems to mind.

One side bats, the other side takes up it's fielding positions e.g. "fine leg", "silly point", "long off". Any one of the fielders can bowl in whatever style they fancy e.g. "leg spin", "off break", "googly", "flipper", "chinaman". The fielders like to rub the ball hard against their genitals before handing it to a "swinger".

If the fielding team believe the batsman is out then they appeal to an old man by saying "how is that?" The old man might be forgiven for asking "how is what?" but he usually makes some kind of gesture that everyone seems to understand.

Every six balls is classed as an "over", and if the batsmen doesn't score in this time it is a "maiden". If the batsmen is out without scoring this is a "duck" (why wouldn't it be?). When the batting team has had enough - or they don't have any more batters - they will let the other team have a go. When both teams have batted, they will do so again (because once isn't enough).

It's all pretty logical really.

Thanks David. I have always understood it perfectly, having minored in Calc I. But my benighted countrymen here, unsteeped in the history of the sport, may be tempted to consider it to be a silly and arcane type of dance.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGeezer View Post
    I've never understood why powerlifting competitions use bench press instead of the press.
    My take on it is the same reason that the press got dropped from the Olympic lifts. Too hard coming with a universally accepted standard of performance and judging the lift. The bench press? Not quite so much. Although some of the arching and "pauses" adjudged as OK makes one wonder sometimes.

Beejeezus now i've seen everything. Gymnastics in powerlifting. Wasn't that a backflip?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGeezer View Post
    That's why there are strenghtlifting meets.

Right: another high-medal-count sport plagued by steroid/PED use that's far less interesting to watch than curling, and that features hairy, threatening, patriarchy-embracing men, and women of often-questionable sympathies.
    This was damn funny.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast