starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shit's getting real

Default Shit's getting real

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Basic stats first: 54 y.o., 190#, 5'10"

Started with SS LP last August, working out pretty consistently three times a week, (alternating squat, press, deadlift; squat, bench, deadlift) increasing the weights almost every workout. After a couple of months I was having recovery issues so I went to taking off two days between each workout and spacing out weight increases. That helped for a while until I decided to incorporate chin ups and deadlift every other workout (squat, press, chin ups; squat, bench, deadlift). With that program I've been making slow but steady progress and I've reached 305 for my squat (3 sets of 5) and 320 for my deadlift (1 set of 5).

Up to this point, I haven't had a missed squat or deadlift rep. I've always approached the lifts pretty confident that I was going to complete each one. The reps were hard, of course, but I didn't really have to psyche myself up too much. Now, however, I find the shit's getting real. I came to what felt like a complete stop halfway up on the fourth rep of the third set the first time I did 305, which was last week. I dug deep and made it up, regrouped at the top for a couple seconds and made the fifth rep. Today at the gym, I took about 30 seconds or so of focusing (Stay tight! Hip drive!) and psyching (Nothing but a peanut! Dirty ginger bitch!) before each of the 3 squat work sets. They still were a grind, and form was ragged, but all reps were completed. I know the deadlift is a full body exercise, but it was at 320 last week when it first really felt that way. Every part of me was deeply involved.

So I'm wondering if other people have had similar experiences, reaching that point where you start to get the feeling that this is serious stuff and you really have to focus to complete the lifts. Where did you reach this point and how did your pre-lift routine change, if at all?

-RJP

How long are you resting between sets? ALWAYS the first question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How long are you resting between sets? ALWAYS the first question.
    At the beginning I was resting 5 minutes, now I do 7, using a timer to keep track.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Basic stats first: 54 y.o., 190#, 5'10"

So I'm wondering if other people have had similar experiences, reaching that point where you start to get the feeling that this is serious stuff and you really have to focus to complete the lifts. Where did you reach this point and how did your pre-lift routine change, if at all?

-RJP
    You describe almost exactly my progression since the first of this year, except I don't lift as much. I am 51 y/o, 5'8.5", 168 lbs. (up from 152). My squat is 245, Bench 162.5, Press 102.5, Deads 275. All at this point are grinders. I too am increasing weekly (do two workouts per week now). The shit is, indeed, getting real. And I rest 6 timed minutes between work sets, sometimes 7.

At the beginning I was resting 5 minutes, now I do 7, using a timer to keep track.
    Start using your brain to keep track. Wait under you no longer feel the previous set, and then wait another couple of minutes. This might be 12 minutes. It might be 15. We are not doing conditioning, and you should not be in a hurry. If you don't like "wasting" the time, do your bench/press warmups in the breaks.

-RJP
    Yes, we all feel it at some point or another. It ebbs and it flows. There are certain points in your training where, you look at the bar, think about the numbers, and have an "oh crap" moment. I squatted 400 last week, I felt it. I felt it the first time I squatted 225. I got over it. You will too. And then, it will come back at some other point. Just keep pushing.

-RJP
    you would you yourself well if you read the book IronMInd by Randall Strossen.
    The mind or brain is the most under used muscle. If you read about the guys going back a few generations, their mental focus was 100% into every rep. They didn't think of anything else except the rep they were doing.

Something I've done now for awhile:
    I read my log the night before my training session. Upon wakening, as I get ready I'm already thinking about the lifts, the order, the reps. As i drive to the gym, I am picturing doing the first lift in my head. As i walk into the gym all I am thinking about is getting to the first rep. My warmup is as much mental as it is physical. During the rest between sets, I pace back and forth, I'm imagining doing the next set, each rep in my head. As I approach the bar, my self talk to crazy. Once you do this for awhile it just becomes part of your set up.
    Yes the other people in the gym will think your nuts but fuck them. I'm here to train.

I truly believe mental toughness and focus is a huge part of lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    read the book IronMInd by Randall Strossen.
    sounds worthwhile (and overlooked) - thanks! RJP, just amazoned it

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    Something I've done now for awhile...the other people in the gym will think you're nuts but fuck them. I'm here to train...I truly believe mental toughness and focus is a huge part of lifting.
    great focus - thanks for helping bring mine back!

I'm 64 and been at this for a year. Yes! It is real, and grindy as hell now.

At our age, IMHO, form is everything. Focus. Concentrate. Every. Single. Rep.

Think about 2 a week - a heavy/intense and light - as described in PPST3 for old farts. The psychological relief of the light day is meaningful, and I'm still increasing the load.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    sounds worthwhile (and overlooked) - thanks! RJP, just amazoned it

great focus - thanks for helping bring mine back!
    The book will surprise you as it will benefit you in all areas of life. Now here is where I go off the rail Mike. For me man, being a 'Lifter' has transformed my life. The lessons I've learned over the years, self discovery, discipline, desire, patience (still working on that one), focus, attitude. All of which are transferable to all other areas of life.
    Some go to the gym to exercise which is fine.
    I go the gym to TRAIN.
    The difference is "ATTITUDE AND FOCUS"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast