starting strength gym

Thread: Smith Machine

Default Smith Machine

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Rip,

I am in the Navy and will be going to sea very soon for 2-3 weeks at time until we deploy later this year. Our ship's gym has a decent set up with barbells, etc, but no squat rack because it's a safety issue in heavy seas (i say just dont squat in bad weather, but the Navy isn't big on fitness anyways). We have two smith machines however. will those be alright to use to continue with the programming? Or does anybody have an opinion for that matter?

Smith machines do not permit squatting. Sorry. Do what you can.

Quote Originally Posted by rjmadrid05 View Post
    Rip,

I am in the Navy and will be going to sea very soon for 2-3 weeks at time until we deploy later this year. Our ship's gym has a decent set up with barbells, etc, but no squat rack because it's a safety issue in heavy seas (i say just dont squat in bad weather, but the Navy isn't big on fitness anyways). We have two smith machines however. will those be alright to use to continue with the programming? Or does anybody have an opinion for that matter?
    njmadrid, forget heavy seas, depending on your hull even normal seas make easy things dangerous. When you put down a deadlift and it lands eight inches to the right or left of where you picked it up, you have a significant risk of injury. I never did heavy squats u/w, only what I could clean to my shoulders, or else front squats. Heavy squats in even slight ship motion can mess you up badly.

That said, Rip, we know what you think of the Smith machine, but given the goal of vertical bar movement, isn't it possible for someone to use it as a poor substitute for the real thing, provided he sets his feet properly and concentrates on proper squat form? We understand its limitations, but can't it have value in this situation?

Just curious, what was the idea behind smith machines?

They were designed to make squats/presses/other barbell exercises easier.

Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    That said, Rip, we know what you think of the Smith machine, but given the goal of vertical bar movement, isn't it possible for someone to use it as a poor substitute for the real thing, provided he sets his feet properly and concentrates on proper squat form? We understand its limitations, but can't it have value in this situation?
    Sorry to repeat, but you missed the question.

Lifting on ship fucking sucks. I had to do it for several months. Unless you've got REALLY calm seas I wouldn't even try to squat or bench. For upperbody I did alot of dumbbell work (easy to get rid of) and alot of leg presses. If you are going to use the Smith Machine, try front squatting instead of back squatting, it works better. Not ideal but its probably the best you can do. Additionally, you can try to do a little deadlifting, maybe at a deficit to get a little more quad into the movement.

What KSC said. It just depresses me to say so.

Indeed I felt somewhat depressed about making that recommendation, but really and truly Smith machines will be the least of your problems on ship...standing in line for an hour for crappy food, never getting your laundry all the way dry, and having the water shut off while you still have soap and shampoo all over you will be much more frustrating.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Indeed I felt somewhat depressed about making that recommendation, but really and truly Smith machines will be the least of your problems on ship...standing in line for an hour for crappy food, never getting your laundry all the way dry, and having the water shut off while you still have soap and shampoo all over you will be much more frustrating.
    KSC, that was just ship's company giving you and the Misguided Children something special to remember them by. The rest of us had pressed uniforms, four-course dinners and endless hot showers and saunas. njmadrid, make sure you ask for yours, too.