starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relief from rotator cuff tear ?

Default Relief from rotator cuff tear ?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was diagnosed with a tear a few months ago. Yesterday I did a couple of dead hangs from the chin up bar about 1 minute each. Last might my shoulder hurt like hell, but this afternoon it feels almost normal. I'm tempted to try dead hangs more regularly to see if this is a method for helping with the injury. Anyone else tried this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I was diagnosed with a tear a few months ago. Yesterday I did a couple of dead hangs from the chin up bar about 1 minute each. Last might my shoulder hurt like hell, but this afternoon it feels almost normal. I'm tempted to try dead hangs more regularly to see if this is a method for helping with the injury. Anyone else tried this ?
    When did the tear happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    When did the tear happen?
    A few months ago.

That sounded like I was being curt. Better repeat it. I'm not sure when exactly it occurred I've had it for a good while now-maybe around the beginning of the year, but didn't get an exam until a few months ago when I went to get my bloods checked out. I've just put up with it as part of growing older, but if I can get some relief by dead hangs and they aren't going to cause me more grief, then I will do them. I already do face-pulls and overhead pulls on every weight session to try and help the muscles strengthen.

That sounded like I was being curt. Better repeat it. I'm not sure when exactly it occurred I've had it for a good while now-maybe around the beginning of the year, but didn't get an exam until a few months ago when I went to get my bloods checked out. I've just put up with it as part of growing older, but if I can get some relief by dead hangs and they aren't going to cause me more grief, then I will do them. I already do face-pulls and overhead pulls on every weight session to try and help the muscles strengthen.
    You are over 50, correct?

Degenerative rotator cuff tears are frighteningly common in individuals over the age of 50. They are most often seen as an incidental finding when being worked up for shoulder pain in this age demographic. They are more clinically significant when one can reliably recall the injurious event and have profound loss of structural stability or gross mechanical dysfunction immediately after.

Degenerative rotator cuff tears are frighteningly common in individuals over the age of 50. They are most often seen as an incidental finding when being worked up for shoulder pain in this age demographic. They are more clinically significant when one can reliably recall the injurious event and have profound loss of structural stability or gross mechanical dysfunction immediately after.
    The doc didn't appear particularly concerned with the injury. I only noticed because my shoulder was really stiff after sleeping, it's got easier over the last month or so. Interesting that the dead hangs seem to be improving it-did another series of hangs today which really seems to make a big difference. I am doing regular face pulls and the usual therapeutic exercises plus CG only on bench.

The doc didn't appear particularly concerned with the injury. I only noticed because my shoulder was really stiff after sleeping, it's got easier over the last month or so. Interesting that the dead hangs seem to be improving it-did another series of hangs today which really seems to make a big difference. I am doing regular face pulls and the usual therapeutic exercises plus CG only on bench.
    Do you think this suggests your AC joint being more of a bad actor than the RTC tear?

starting strength coach development program
    Do you think this suggests your AC joint being more of a bad actor than the RTC tear?
    Possibly a bit of both Will? It wouldn't surprise me if I had AC joint problems because of all the overhead work I've done throughout my life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast