Waist : 39.5" 25% bf
    Daily calories : 2,800 (5g creatine)

Lift numbers
    Squat : 80kg - 115kg
    Deadlift : 100kg - 140kg
    Bench : 60kg - 90kg
    Press : 40kg - 57kg
    Row : 60kg - 80kg

So, a few weeks ago I think i've made a bit of programming mistake. I decided it was time to address me waist as it was getting close to 40". My lifts on LP were stuck and I couldn't progress so I made a decision to switch to The Bridge by BBM. The program calls for more volume at submaximal 75% workloads and includes cardio. After spending 3 weeks on this program, I dont know if my strength is increasing as things like pause squats and tempo squats pause bench, I'm only using submaximal weights. I have decided that I love SS simple, hard, and effective style of training, and having a job invoving shift work plus family (wife, kids etc) getting in the gym 3 days vs 4 suits me.

I have decided to switch back and restart LP, dialling in nutrition to enable me to drive my Deadlift up to 405lb/180kg while bringing my waist down to around 36-37" if this is possible. I understand that carbs need be high, fat as low as possible and protein at 1g/lb. Where would you have me start, nutrion wise to re-run LP successfully and have the best results? Also would you make any changes programming wise or add cardio for someone wanting to reduce waistline as appose to someone who is aggressively doing GOMAD. Altough I dont feel intermediate yet, I, also dont feel a true beginner. On the bridge i was deadlifting 135g for 3x5.

My main goal is to hit 60kg Press, 100kg Bench, 140kg Squat, 180kg Deadlift while bringing my waist down and understand that i may need programming changes due to being situational intermediate.

Any help here Karl.

Thanks.

Hey Tate,

any recommendation will be general. You'll need to titrate the carb number as needed. Don't worry about bodyweight. You can worry a bit about the waist number. We would like that to go down, but it probably will if you get your nutrition sorted out.

Do this: get 220g protein, 80g fat, and 300g carbs. This gets you to 2800, but will likely cause some body recomposition. If your waist moves _up_, take carbs away. During an LP I wouldn't worry too much about the waist, but I wouldn't want it to get bigger than it is now. I bet it will go down.

Thanks Karl. Appreciate it.

Karl, one thing i have noticed is i do well hitting 2,800cals during the week but come Sat i loosen the reigns a little. Eat pizza, drink beers, etc etc. In MFP the pizza along with the beers come to around 1,700cals and about 160g carbs. I usually just eat as normal and have this cheat meal. Should i still aim for 2,800cals or will one days splurge/cheat not make that much of a difference in reducing waist size?

A binge day can definitely ruin the week. Try to keep it under control. Eat lightly through the morning and retain some moderation when you loosen the reigns. Portion size is also hard to tell in a restaurant. The 1700 cals could easily be 3500.

Karl, so this week i've hit 2,800cals daily. 220/300/80 and over the course of the week i feel like ive lost a little weight. Im going to give it another week then weigh myself. I do not want to lose weight. Im happy to maintain as i want to get my lifts up and build muscle. If say after another week i do lose where would i increase and how much? Up the carbs 50g taking me to 3,000cals.

Yeah. 50g is a nice quantum to use. Big enough to make a difference.

Karl, last Friday morning i weighed myself and weighed in at 193.8lb. I have just weighed myself again and still 193.8lb. It appears i'm holding weight at 2,800cals 220/300/80. My waist last week was roughly 39.5", this morning it is 39", but i cant be sure i didnt hold yhe tape a little tighter. Do you think i should just stay at these macros a little longer while running LP and see if the waist decreases more over time. My lifts seem ok at the minute but Squats and Press may some adjustment soon.

Hey Tate,

Don't take this the wrong way, but week to week adjustments are probably something you should hire people for. You know the general principles! Now it's up to you to apply it. So, this is homework for you. What do you think you should do?

starting strength coach development program
    No problem Karl. So my thinking is hold tight at 2,800cals while driving my lifts up. Adjust upward when required to get the Deadlift to 405lb. Build strength & muscle first.