starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - Update from Coaches Q&A Thread

Default Squat Form Check - Update from Coaches Q&A Thread

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coaches/Fellow Randos:

I originally asked coaches to assess my squat after I tried to work on it in this thread:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...uat-check.html

Steve has locked the thread, and now that I've put a bit of time in analyzing and trying to correct primary issues, this is probably a more correct area for me to be posting.

Here is a new set:

Steve said to focus on two things; hip drive and breaking at the hips at the same time as the knees. The biggest cues in my head are thinking about my hip break (not my knees at all) and getting my ass back, keeping the rep slowed down instead of dive-bombing (the bar speed seems really slow while I'm doing them, but really fast on camera), and getting my ass straight up out of the bottom.

I am really focusing on the hip break, and it appears to be more reasonable.

I believe I'm getting hip drive out the bottom, although based on where my back angle gets set on the way down I lead out a little early most of the time.

There are clearly other things going on, but am I seeing hip drive properly or am I wrong?

Adjust your gaze so that when you are in the hole, you aren't looking between your feet. Break looks good, hip drivenis probably ok, but I can't tell because the weight is too light. I think you are leaning too far over and getting over your toes a little bit, again, a proper working weight and not practically looking behind youmight bring the whole system back to mid foot. Overall, decent and fine to continue progressing.

Thanks for looking; the weight is really light because I wanted to ensure that I've been working on proper positioning. I'm fighting a lot of tendencies, every rep, and they'll want to come back with much resistance, so I'll have to just work up linearly from light and be careful about every rep.

My eye focal point is maintained through at that dark spot towards the back of the rack (penny). I know I need to pull my head up further to be natural and avoid injury, but keeping my head locked down like this is helping greatly with getting my hips breaking and not wanting to rotate my head up as I come out of the hole.

Side and rear videos will get posted so long as a coach doesn't come in here and tell me I'm really screwed up. The side will help determine bar position over midfoot and path (I tend to have a slight roll forward at the bottom, no matter how heavy or light the weight). On the rear I'd like to show the significant difference in height between my left and right hips at the bottom.