starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin press alternates?

Default Pin press alternates?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm too tall to do a traditional standing pin press is any of the power cages at my gym and I'm looking for a press accessory.

Suggests? Seated? LTEs? CGB? Amputate my feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    I'm too tall to do a traditional standing pin press is any of the power cages at my gym and I'm looking for a press accessory.

Suggests? Seated? LTEs? CGB? Amputate my feet?
    What about the kneeling press? At least that way all your shoes won't go to waste.

I'm too tall to do a traditional standing pin press IN any of the power cages at my gym and I'm looking for a press accessory.

SuggestIONs? Seated? LTEs? CGB? Amputate my feet?
    edit

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    What about the kneeling press? At least that way all your shoes won't go to waste.
    Kneeling seems like a good idea... throw a yoga mat down from the knees and perform / program as normal?

Kneeling press will be a little lighter than standing, so I don't know enough about your programming and current lifts to say what the desire for added accessories is. It won't be an overloaded press, it will be an underloaded press.

Off the top of my head, Dwayne Wint, who no longer posts here, used to do them kneeling because he was too tall to press in his basement, so maybe you want to peruse his log for the videos : KONG's Training and Self-rehab
    Last edited by Adam Skillin; 12-01-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typed faster than I thought

Yeah, assuming you can't just press outside the racks? Kneeling press will be a little lighter than standing, but not so much that you have to treat it differently. Off the top of my head, Dwayne Wint no longer posts here, but he used to do them kneeling because he was too tall to press in his basement, so maybe you want to peruse his log for the videos (not the programming, Dwayne was already beyond novice stage when the log began): KONG's Training and Self-rehab
    I currently have a 3 foot walkout to clear the overhead attachments so I can press. (I wouldn't be able to press in any basement I've ever seen.)

I'll try this kneeling variation so I can press from the pins.

I currently have a 3 foot walkout to clear the overhead attachments so I can press. (I wouldn't be able to press in any basement I've ever seen.)

I'll try this kneeling variation so I can press from the pins.
    Yeah, kneeling pin press is a bit of a weird choice, but I can't think of a better alternative if the program calls for pin press. Let us know how it goes.

I recommend this...

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I recommend this...

I thought of that too, but my brain settled on kneeling as being the closest in terms of kinetic chain. What do you like about the legs-forward, seated position better than kneeling?

starting strength coach development program
    I thought of that too, but my brain settled on kneeling as being the closest in terms of kinetic chain. What do you like about the legs-forward, seated position better than kneeling?
    It's a favorite pressing exercise of the strongest man that has ever walked the earth. That's good enough for me.
    Scroll down the right side of his Wiki page to see his accomplishments, it will blow your mind.

Žydr& - Wikipedia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast