starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To do more or to do less?

Default To do more or to do less?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Do you have the capacity to increase training volume?

Mike T makes some suggestions at about 2:20 in YouTube.

It's not clear if those are the best ways to determine if your training volume is too much in light of your recovery ability or whether you have the capacity to recover from higher volume.

Any thoughts on the subject of how to determine whether you could handle more volume or whether you're already doing too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Do you have the capacity to increase training volume?

Any thoughts on the subject of how to determine whether you could handle more volume or whether you're already doing too much?
    Your training will let you know if you need more volume or if your doing too much in the form of non-progress or regression (assuming you have a handle of recovery, of course). In the case of non-progress, add volume; in the case of regression, subtract volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    I have to admit, I don’t understand all the fussing with heart rate variability and questionnaires. I can measure any fatigue with bar speeds.

You could work up to a single rep at RPE 8 (or a specified bar speed). If the load for the single departs from what’s expected based on my recent rate of gains, I’m probably still fatigued from a prior session. I modify stress dose accordingly.

This ^ process becomes pretty intuitive after a few years of training.

This^.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Your training will let you know if you need more volume or if your doing too much in the form of non-progress or regression (assuming you have a handle of recovery, of course). In the case of non-progress, add volume; in the case of regression, subtract volume.
    For a very easy and accurate answer this ^

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I have to admit, I don’t understand all the fussing with heart rate variability and questionnaires. I can measure any fatigue with bar speeds.

You could work up to a single rep at RPE 8 (or a specified bar speed). If the load for the single departs from what’s expected based on my recent rate of gains, I’m probably still fatigued from a prior session. I modify stress dose accordingly.

For a more complex and still accurate answer, this ^

Pick which one is most applicable to you and carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

What are you using to measure Bar Speed these days, John?

Probably his eye, which is probably pretty good at this point.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

After performing a few thousand work sets you become educated on if you are @8 or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarkMark View Post
    What are you using to measure Bar Speed these days, John?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Probably his eye, which is probably pretty good at this point.
    Yeah. Pretty much going by feel and eye.

I did put my name on the waiting list for Open Barbell's Version 3 device. I'm also trying to convince my wife that a $2200 Gym Aware Unit would complete our life. If that fails, I might just have to do some clever joint-department research grant shit in order to play with a gym aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    After performing a few thousand work sets you become educated on if you are @8 or not.
    Yeah. Intuition started to be reliable after about 3 steady years of lifting. It's wonky after a layoff, but it rights itself pretty quickly.

starting strength coach development program
    Getting an open barbell device has been on my agenda for 2 years ..i simply don’t think I want it anymore,it is apparently made of unobtanium.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast