starting strength gym

Thread: George Jowett, the ACWLA and the Milo Barbell Company

Default George Jowett, the ACWLA and the Milo Barbell Company

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    by John D Fair

“It is my belief that the present day official amateur lifting in Canada and the United States is the natural result of the efforts and accomplishments of George Jowett in regulating and promoting lifting and creating interest in progressive exercise.”(1) —Ottley Coulter, 1956

“He is so notorious for drawing the long bow, that what he says is of little value and not to be relied on. He always told it to the advantage of George Fiusdale. Nothing he claimed was so. No titles. No Awards. No nothing.
    ”(2) —Charles A. Smith, 1989

Article

Resources Page

Interesting read. It seems the Hoffman and Weider wars played during the first half of my life were only the latest round of the Peloponessian Wars.

Also some interesting and contrasting quotes and sources cited. I've read a number of letters by Charles Smith and he seems to have developed in his later years a very jaundiced view of everyone he came up with and worked for during his hey days in the iron game. I've also read that Boff was just the opposite and would almost never utter a word of criticism about anyone even when pressed about some pretty clear cut transgressions. So you have to read carefully and decide just who did what to who and how wrong they were or were not.