starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Deprecating Thoughts to Increase Lifts

Default Self Deprecating Thoughts to Increase Lifts

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Anytime I get a sense of pride in what I have accomplished, weight-wise, I find that I tend to stay at that strength level. Sometimes my inflated ego helps a bit, but the most consistently successful technique I have devised to keep pushing myself is to realize what a pathetic, weak piece of shit I am. No matter how high anything gets, there's always someone in the world who can lift more. Way more. And even if I lifted the most, there's probably an animal who could do lift that weight with one hand if it wanted. I'm a fucking weak little cunt bitch, and that's why I'll keep getting stronger.

Any of you use this method?

BTW, a piece of advice I picked up from Mike Mahler a long time ago, and I had forgotten about it until recently: Hot/Cold showers help recovery immensely, by relaxing your CNS after a grueling workout. 1 Minute as hot as you can stand, followed by 30 seconds of the coldest water. Repeat until done with shower. If you can do this without wanting to die, it helps a lot.

No.

I don't understand why people feel the need to get angry in order to lift weight.

But if it works, it works.

I'm not angry at all. Actually I lift the most weight when I'm completely relaxed and just do it.

But I'm talking about my motivation to always be pushing myself.

I sort of do the opposite when I'm "psyching up" -- I think about how I own the gym and how I'm gonna lift that bitch-ass weight no matter what. I even have a little song/cheer I made up for myself about it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It feels a lot more pleasant than beating myself up over a lift, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PressesPeople View Post
    I'm not angry at all. Actually I lift the most weight when I'm completely relaxed and just do it.

But I'm talking about my motivation to always be pushing myself.
    This is how I prefer to lift.

I'm not chasing any world records (or even national or state for that matter), so I just can't see the point in using the "there's someone out there stronger than me" approach.

My secret? I'm always angry.

I do that as well, I don't think of myself as strong no matter what PRs I make, I always compare myself to the greats and strive to achieve a fraction of their strength. It helps in pushing me forward. I also find that psyching up helps, gets my adrenaline going.

I tell myself that I'm a worthless piece of shit and no one likes me. Then I start crying and begin my 1st set.

Quote Originally Posted by David1982 View Post
    I tell myself that I'm a worthless piece of shit and no one likes me. Then I start crying and begin my 1st set.
    Hahah! Nice. :-P

starting strength coach development program
    Not at all. Since I have started actively working on maintaining a positive attitude, my lifting has progressed. I'm already thinking about squats & bench press tomorrow and how I will make every rep in my training. The Suggs article on mental training helped quite a bit also.

I find negative thinking carries over too much into every day life, which I don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast