starting strength gym

Thread: Mixing Rotating LP with PB

Default Mixing Rotating LP with PB

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I’m trying to plan my training out for all of this year. Currently I’m on accelerated LP. I would like to run it for about 6 weeks, hopefully set some new 3x5 PRs, then I plan to run the KSC Method for PL. If I have success with this program, then I plan to run it 2 or 3 times, then transition into somewhat of a power building routine for the remainder of the year. I also like the idea of Rotating LP, which got me thinking that the two would pair great together. For instance, Squat/hammy day could be a Back Squat 8RM, followed by an AMRAP set - 20%. Then I could proceed to do 3-4 Hamstring movements. For upper body movements (Press/Incline), I was thinking of starting them out in more of a traditional strength range of 4x6, and just keep running it down until I encounter something close to a true 6RM, then I could apply the Rotating LP scheme. For instance, the next week may be a 6RM followed by an AMRAP set -20%. Has anyone ever ran something similar to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gish View Post
    I’m trying to plan my training out for all of this year. Currently I’m on accelerated LP. I would like to run it for about 6 weeks, hopefully set some new 3x5 PRs, then I plan to run the KSC Method for PL. If I have success with this program, then I plan to run it 2 or 3 times, then transition into somewhat of a power building routine for the remainder of the year. I also like the idea of Rotating LP, which got me thinking that the two would pair great together. For instance, Squat/hammy day could be a Back Squat 8RM, followed by an AMRAP set - 20%. Then I could proceed to do 3-4 Hamstring movements. For upper body movements (Press/Incline), I was thinking of starting them out in more of a traditional strength range of 4x6, and just keep running it down until I encounter something close to a true 6RM, then I could apply the Rotating LP scheme. For instance, the next week may be a 6RM followed by an AMRAP set -20%. Has anyone ever ran something similar to this?
    I don't think anyone here is going to advocate doing 8RM at any point, nor AMRAP sets at 20% of 1RM

what are your lifts currently at and what's your body weight? Are you already an intermediate lifter, is that why you are planning to stop the LP after only 6 weeks? What's the context of this?

6’1

Just came back from a vacation, that’s why I’m running an “accelerated “ LP. As of 3 weeks ago my best SQ was 385x11, DL was 585x1. Last year my heaviest SQ was 460x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    I don't think anyone here is going to advocate doing 8RM at any point, nor AMRAP sets at 20% of 1RM
    Would you consider Andy Baker “anyone”?

Yeah don't worry Jeff. Bradley's a big strong dude with a very good idea of programming. You don't need to school him in the basics. He's referencing some of Andy Baker's programs that do, in fact, operate on setting PRs in the 8/5/2 rep ranges.

I, however, have no experience with them so will comment no further. Am intrigued by the PB program though. Might take it for a spin in the summer when I have all the time in the world to hit the gym. #teacherlyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Yeah don't worry Jeff. Bradley's a big strong dude with a very good idea of programming. You don't need to school him in the basics. He's referencing some of Andy Baker's programs that do, in fact, operate on setting PRs in the 8/5/2 rep ranges.

I, however, have no experience with them so will comment no further. Am intrigued by the PB program though. Might take it for a spin in the summer when I have all the time in the world to hit the gym. #teacherlyfe
    Yea, last year I mainly ran HLM/TSFOSB stuff, and by year’s end, I was feeling kind of burnt out. This year I plan to push hard for about the first 6 months for strength gains, then kind of fall back towards the second half of the year and just sorta fart around in the gym while still sneaking in some progress on the main lifts.

im actually planning on doing something like this during baseball just start at 8s and work down to 3s(some lighter weeks will have to be thrown in as well) with some bodybuilding fluff....currently im destroying myself running a brutal powerlifting program

starting strength coach development program
    I eat my sock, apologies. I should stop commenting on these threads. I thought I had read everything but apparently not.