starting strength gym

Thread: discomfort at lower back after squats

Default discomfort at lower back after squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    hi,

i do SS progam for 45 days.
    after squat i feel discomfort at my lowerback , there http://up353.siz.co.il/up3/gbj4rjytzzan.jpeg

i need to admit that if i walk too much like 25 min i feel this place too,
    maybe its because my body need to adapt this strain ?
    and i have a nice squat technique

Is this a question? I'm sure you understand we can't comment on your squat technique without seeing your squat technique. When do you feel the pain? During, right after, or the day after squatting? Is it unilateral or bilateral?

I'd get that red spot checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    As Adam said, post up a form check.

I remember when I was running my LP, my lower back would be cramped and tired quite often. I don't think my form was particularly bad or anything, it was just soreness from getting it stronger. It was very much like the soreness people often get in their hamstrings, but since the lower back is always "on" except when lying down, it was more annoying.
    Well, I'm not sure I buy that. I personally believe pain in the low back is always indicative of either an underlying injury/weakness/flaw OR bad form. A perfect squat rep will in principle have the lower back maintain a perfect non-moving isometric contraction, but most of us don't maintain that perfect isometric positioning at the bottom, which I suppose is OK. My point being that I reckon for most of us, there is always some risk to our backs by squatting and deadlifting heavy weights (the amount varies for the individual), cause very few people have perfect reps all the time.

So that's a risk we need to be aware of, we shouldn't kid ourselves that nothing's wrong if there's pain. Soreness however is different, but particularly for low backs, I kinda feel like there's a continuum between soreness and pain that makes it easy to dismiss it and move on. Hell, I do it all the time, my low back is just so sensitive to bad form, and I struggle with form on both squats and deadlifts still after over 2 years of lifting. I suppose correcting form is something you're gonna do as long as you're lifting.

my bodyweight is 151 lbs
    squat 259 lbs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Z4wSVI-zo

deadlift 286 lbs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DInwWuTQZ0

I don't see any rounding of your back when you squat. In fact, it looks to me like you're hyperextending your back, i.e. you're trying too hard to keep it straight that you're arching it too much. I had the same problem awhile ago and it resulted in some nasty back pain. The trick for me was to focus on keeping the spine neutral. Think about how your spine feels when you stand up straight with a big breath of air and try to keep it in that position the entire lift.

starting strength coach development program
    Streching my hips/quads/hams help with my lower back pain. He helped me get my pelvis back in alignment.