starting strength gym

Thread: Novice / Intermediate Question

Default Novice / Intermediate Question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Mark,

After a little over a year of haphazard and foolish upper body only weight training, I have recently read Starting Strength and have done my best to incorporate those concepts into my training. Unfortunately, because of my past ignorance, I am not able to stick to your program and make progress on the bench press or press. I wish I had found Starting Strength much sooner, so that I had not gone so far down the wrong path.

I ordered a copy of Practical Programming today, but it will probably take about 3 to 4 weeks to get up here to Alaska. Will Practical Programming give me the information I need to incorporate an intermediate program for the upper body lifts into a novice program for the squat and deadlift, or are the two mutually exclusive?

I feel like I can make a lot more progress on the squat and deadlift as a novice, and I want to make sure that those lifts have priority. Nonetheless, I would prefer to resume making progress on the bench and press if at all possible.

Thank you for writing the books and giving me a real understanding of how to more effectively train.
    Last edited by almostfree; 10-01-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Clarity / Typos

Do an intermediate program for the bench and continue your novice progression on the other lifts. The book will help.

You might also want to purchase the Kindle edition to get instant and very convenient access (e.g., via the Kindle Cloud Reader). I own both paper and kindle editions of SSBT3 and PPST3 and use the Kindle editions 90% of the time. And they're cheap.