starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Technique - 6'8" 300 Lbs

Default Deadlift Technique - 6'8" 300 Lbs

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    https://youtu.be/y4zY2otkGpM

Hi Mark! I'm sure you get a number of these requests daily but i was hoping you could take a second to critique my deadlift form. I've been studying your videos for some time and have done my best to do as you suggest.

I'm 6'8", 300 Lbs. just for reference, I approach the bar shoulder width, toes slightly out (barely), double overhand grip just outside knees, bar is 1" from shin, bend knees forward to touch bar at shin, straighten back via spinal flexion AND hip flexion and pull.

My own critique says I need to stop looking in the mirror and engage more hamstrings because it doesn't look or feel smooth and my knees keep getting in the way. Unfortunately i'm trying to correct years of poor posture, bad technique and muscle imbalances. It probably doesn't seem like it, but in the video i'm keeping my back as straight as possible an doing my best not to slump my shoulders forward or slouch.

I'd be grateful for any advice, regardless of how small. Thanks

Have you read the book?

Hi Mark,

Not yet. I've recently started following you online and am interested in starting the program. I was hoping to get some advice from a "raw" starting point so that going forward after reading the book I can make appropriate adjustments.

Head over to the technique forum to get advice first. They should be able to help you out a lot.

This might be of interest to you. Brian Shaw (6'8") on Deadlift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoYWLualcmc

IIRC Gary Heisey was a good 6'8" or so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSixEight View Post
    Hi Mark,

Not yet. I've recently started following you online and am interested in starting the program. I was hoping to get some advice from a "raw" starting point so that going forward after reading the book I can make appropriate adjustments.
    It's easier to learn the movements properly from the get go than having to dig out technique issues later.

starting strength coach development program
    Brian Shaw is a 900lbs (+) deadlifter.
    Generally speaking the best advice and coaching doesn't come from elite lifters.