starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling (No Barbell)

Default Traveling (No Barbell)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Mark,

I've recently begun the programming advised in SS, but the main issue I face is that I travel frequently for work (up to two weeks a month consistently). I see here that you adivsed Crossfit workouts for training on the road:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...p/t-7160.html?

That advice was from 2007, and I know that you have since split with the organization. Does it still hold true?

CrossFit is not strength training, and my views on CF have been discussed ad nauseum in several places:

http://www.t-nation.com/training/cro...d-and-the-ugly

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...lympic_lifting

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-r...b_4597039.html

http://www.muscleforlife.com/mark-rippetoe-interview/

and several others. If you travel and don't have access to barbells -- or fail to obtain access to barbells -- you cannot do a barbell strength program. Sorry, but that's the math.

It's almost like Rip is on to something:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    or fail to obtain access to barbells
    Don't over complicate things. If you are just starting, missing a day or two is not going to destroy your linear progression. You'd be better off not missing a workout, but you are still better off lifting and missing a day here or there than freaking out about missing a workout here or there and stopping. Don't stop!

You travel "up to two weeks a month". So make sure to be as rigorous as possible when you are at home and don't miss any workouts when you don't have to. Then, even if you only find a barbell one day a week when you are travelling, you'll still be able to make at least some progress.

When you are on the road, where are you travelling? Locally, overseas? Same places each week? Try to look ahead and find a YMCA or Globogym that you can drop in at. If you go back to that spot again, you know where you can go and get your lifting in. A $20 drop in fee at a Globo and getting your squats in will be better than $20 at the hotel bar. Ask around here in some of the other forums for places to lift, check out a your location's site on reddit and ask for gyms to squat in.

Many options, there's a barbell waiting for you somewhere.

Planning ahead, I have found gyms with facilities I need and paid for a week membership (or less).

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Planning ahead, I have found gyms with facilities I need and paid for a week membership (or less).
    There are also some globo gyms that offer memberships which are valid in other locations within other states.

I made use of Anytime Fitness several times when I was traveling. Always had at least one rack, and I had to keep shitty hours on the road so being able to go whenever I had the time was a huge benefit.

OP,

I'm a management consultant by profession and have been traveling for work for about 4 years now. I travel every week for work, leaving on Monday and back on Thursday. I did SS for about 10 months while traveling and now doing a more intermediate block periodization style program. The point is that it can be done but you just have to prioritize it. I've come to a point where I'm competing in powerlifting meets all while traveling. The most important thing is access to a gym. If you travel, buy a membership in a gym like the LA Fitness or the Y that have national plans, so that you can use any gym nationwide. Or just use any gym buying their daily pass for $10.

I have a membership with LA Fitness and train at their facilities while on the road. I usually train on Wednesdays on the road and Friday, Saturday and Sunday back at home. I carry my gear with me. I can't even tell you how many times I've been pulled for additonal security because of the fractional plates in my luggage.

It's not difficult, but you just have to plan for it. I'll be happy to answer any questions as I have been doing it for a while.

Barbells are available in any big city, just not in the hotel fitness center. Remember to pack your lifting shoes and belt, really sucks to not have those.

Ask your boss if you can expense the visiting gym fee when you are travelling on business.

Not to plug, but Anytime Fitness works well for me. You can key into any location nationwide at any hour. They always have at least one squat rack and some barbells. Some of them have those lame octagonal plates, but, in a pinch, that will work...

I don't travel nearly as much as you do (anymore), but I travel enough (especially in the summer) that it is beneficial.

I'd prefer a real gym, but those are not existent where I live.

Gregory Domnin Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Randeep Khaund View Post
    OP,

I carry my gear with me. I can't even tell you how many times I've been pulled for additonal security because of the fractional plates in my luggage.
    You have to remember to put them in an outside pocket in your luggage so they are easier to take in and out or you're an amateur. Just send them through with your shoes and what not! Don't try to be clever!

You can use the search function on this board to find gyms that might be suitable. And yes Globo gyms will work...I use one locally and if they don't have a location where I am going, Google has helped me find something. It can be tricky and stress management can be more important...constantly changing your scenery will add to your stress levels even if you don't feel it or if you think you are accustomed to it.

It might be helpful if you posted a list of cities you will be travelling to in the Training forums below so others can help you.
    Last edited by stef; 10-28-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: missing "/" added in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast