starting strength gym

Thread: Simple vs. Complex Carbs?

Default Simple vs. Complex Carbs?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Jordan,

First, thank you for all your work here on the forum. I've learned a ton and I want to let you know I'm more than grateful. I'll be buying that book that's coming out soon. (Right?)

From a body composition/ lifting energy standpoint is there a difference between a complex carb and a simple carb?

I used to hear so much about how great oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice etc. are for you. But now days all you hear is IIFYM, bro.

Is my body going to notice a difference between ingesting a sweet potato vs. pop tart? I know a calorie is a calorie, but a complex carb HAS to have a use right?

Is the only reason we eat complex carbs to feel full longer?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

If the macros and total fiber content are the same then the carbohydrate source is an insignificant variable. That said, most people don't track macros and thus "complex" carbs tend to spontaneously improve a persons diet by increasing fiber, decreasing total carb intake and lowering overall cals. As an aside, the terms high or low glycemic, much like complex or simple, are arbitrary given that their experimental determination was done on an empty stomach in isolation, ie not with a mixed meal that alters the kinetics of dietary absorption, transport, and hormonal response.

Interesting.

Awesome thanks for the info.