starting strength gym

Thread: "Boken Bits" - Fracture in the lower back.

Default "Boken Bits" - Fracture in the lower back.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Posting for a friend. He just started out training, had an accident and is now down with a hair line fracture and few broken ribs. Doctors have advised bed rest for 3/4 weeks and gradually resume daily activities. Was wondering when can he start hitting the weights again. Any insights would be helpful.

Bed rest? Seriously? I guess at least the ribs have no choice to move some with beathing, so that's good at least.

I would get a second opinion on the bed rest prescription.

Also, knowing where the fracture is might be useful.

I broke two ribs in a car accident in 2005 and they have never healed properly due to a work obligation. If not given proper rest, broken ribs can definitely become a chronic issue...assuming you are active? My opinion, Doctors tend to be conservative and need to be due to medical liability and dealing with the general population. If you proceed with a logical plan you should be fine. I would continue to get under the bar and improve technical competence in the specific exercises; " individuals become more efficient in neuromuscular function- to the extent possible- by improving both technical competence and motor unit recruitment, so these aspects of performance must be trained." (PPST pg 52)

Again, I would caution "working through the pain." If you are following the SS program you probably have a greater pain tolerance, do not let your desire to continue the program lead to a chronic life long injury. Let your body heal properly and then follow PPST for "missed workouts" guidance.
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 12-26-2014 at 09:13 AM.