starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on micronutrients

Default Question on micronutrients

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Assuming a lifter has his or her macronutrient ratios and calories in order, what micronutrients would one need to look out for still? What kind of supplementation, or vegetables to have a lot of?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
    Assuming a lifter has his or her macronutrient ratios and calories in order, what micronutrients would one need to look out for still? What kind of supplementation, or vegetables to have a lot of?
    Is the lifter an omnivore?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Is the lifter an omnivore?
    Yes.

Supplements, with the exception of prenatal vitamins or other specific medical conditions, have ZERO data supporting their use to promote health. In fact, in most large studies they hasten death. Listen to your grandmother and EAT your greens. Kale or cucumbers or apples don't come in pill forms.

Quality of diet imho is mostly

Micronutrients:Macronutrients

The higher this ratio the better.

Ones macros are in check finding the foods that deliver these with the highest ratio of micronutrients is the best you can do. Brown rice, broccoli and steak beats white rice, lettuce and chicken at the same macros because of a higher micronutrient density.

Just my undereducated 2 cents

Yes.
    I dont think any supplements are required for health then.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Supplements, with the exception of prenatal vitamins or other specific medical conditions, have ZERO data supporting their use to promote health. In fact, in most large studies they hasten death. Listen to your grandmother and EAT your greens. Kale or cucumbers or apples don't come in pill forms.
    Not that I think you actually meant "all supplements", I'd just clarify I would argue that protein, creatine, and vitamin d have the potential to promote health with vitamin d being the most tenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert NL View Post
    Quality of diet imho is mostly

Micronutrients:Macronutrients

The higher this ratio the better.

Ones macros are in check finding the foods that deliver these with the highest ratio of micronutrients is the best you can do. Brown rice, broccoli and steak beats white rice, lettuce and chicken at the same macros because of a higher micronutrient density.

Just my undereducated 2 cents
    I wouldn't disagree with this, in principle

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    with the exception of prenatal vitamins
    What about vitamins for infants and toddlers?

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    What about vitamins for infants and toddlers?

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I'd actually make a case that prenatal vitamins don't even really do anything- though this is controversial (along with pre natal care). For a child without existing pathology or enzyme deficiency? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Not that I think you actually meant "all supplements", I'd just clarify I would argue that protein, creatine, and vitamin d have the potential to promote health with vitamin d being the most tenuous.
    By the term micronutrients, I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP meant vitamins, minerals, and all the plant compounds we've just now begun to grasp like carotenoids, xanthophylls, flavonoids, organosulfurs, or even salicin which is a precursor to aspirin. People don't realize that the large majority of drugs are natural based compounds. So Hippocrates wasn't far off by saying let your food be your medicine.

starting strength coach development program
    Sure, but you said supplements ;-)

I agree that Hippocrates was onto something- hopefully the market agrees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast