starting strength gym

Thread: Worried about a possible back or hip injury. thoughts needed.

Default Worried about a possible back or hip injury. thoughts needed.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys.

As the title says, I'm concerned about my hip, and especially my back. I was wondering if anyone's experiencing similar symptoms:

an aching pain that seemingly irradiates from my left hip and down the outside of my leg. The best way I can describe how it feels is that it feels like a stretching sensation, like I'm involuntarily stretching the muscles down the outside of my left leg. Bending over with a straight back and straight legs really seems to target what's hurting too. As does pushing something, such as pushing a trolley.

Pain is worse when I get up, after an hour or so of being on my feet it subsides and I can almost forget about it.

I have found that massaging the crease of my hip with menthol rub seems to help. It feels like whatever tendon is in my hip has knotted up and is pulling upwards causing this discomfort. That's how it feels anyway, I appreciate I have a poor grasp of the anatomy however.

It's just so close the the lower back that I'm worried this is all stemming from a lower back injury. Thing is, above this pain site I seems to have a full range of motion, I can squat without pain and clean perfectly fine. My deadlift has gone to shit however. I was going for 520 for three on monday for my workset. I could barely make the warmup set preceding it at 500. This might however be down to me worrying about making this injury worse.

Thanks for reading guys, any help is appreciated.

Google "greater trochanter". Where is the pain in relationship to your greater trochanter?

Also: have you by chance been doing ohp with sloppy form of late (excessive layback)?

Thanks John. If you have a look at this image:

http://centralbassendeanphysiotherap...c-Bursitis.jpg

The highlighted red spot is where I believe the pain is coming from. However It's kinda tricky to be sure.

Yes, I have tweaked my back previously with excessive layback. I tend to twist to the left and over arch backwards during an extremely heavy set. I have felt a pinching sensation in the back before whilst this happens. Actually I felt this last Monday during heavy sets of three, but I didn't think much of it at the time as it didn't hurt at all after.

My meathead, non-physio-therapist guess:

Your TFL, rectus femoris, iliopsoas are spasming/locked down as a protective mechanism after the OHP episode of rotation while hyperextending.

I would:
    - get an incredibly painful massage to release aforementioned muscles
    - absolutely refrain from any layback for a few months. Google "facet joint arthritis" and "spondylolisthesis". You do NOT want that shit. Don't tempt fate. Only perfect OHP reps forthwith.
    Last edited by John Hanley; 02-17-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling. Guess which word.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna be a busy little bastard tonight researching what you've brought up. Do you think I'll be okay squatting and general heavy lifting through this? I will pay special attention not to fuck with sloppy OHP form. Many thanks brother.

If my guess is right, you should be fine so long as you keep a nice rigid neutral spine (it is just a guess though).

I've had similar issues after epic 1rm grinds on the ohp. Zero issues squatting, DLing maximally.

starting strength coach development program
    The more I look at "spondylolisthesis", the more I worry I've actually got the damn thing. I have had these symptoms before, though fairly mild compared to what I'm currently suffering from. I will get the massage and see how things fare I guess. Then an x-ray might be in order if it still hurts.

Squatting feels fine with me currently. I feel I favor my left side while doing it, video playback of my sets look fine to me afterwards however. I'll have to get a video up for you guys to look at next week.