starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi coaches,

I hope it is ok to post more than one thread at a time, as I have also uploaded a squat video and was hoping to have some feedback on my deadlifts as well.
    Height: 192 cm
    Weight: 103 kg

After 2 months off I am getting back into the groove. I got to 185 kg before I stopped, and I have started again from 160 kg, and this is my second deadlift workout with 162.5 kg. This was supposed to be a set of 5, but ended up being 5 singles because the irregular shape of the plates would move the bar forward every time I put it down. This really messed with the deadlift and I feel these would have looked better had the plates been round allowing me to do them in one set. But I really had to move between reps to get into position.
    I might buy one set of 20/25 kg plates of the correct size just to remedy this.

I don't see any issues here that won't be fixed by you getting some proper plates for the bar so that you don't have to chase the bar all over the gym. Getting those plates would make you a smart dude.

You get a little soft in your back in the later reps, esp #5. Squeeze up harder each rep.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback. I will work on squeezing harder before each rep. I am still on the hunt for proper plates that don't cost a fortune, and I might post a follow-up once I get them, if that's alright.
    (why is this kind of plates even in production? There is no upside I can think of to the irregular shape... grumpy grumpy)

A beat-up old pick-up truck is functional, but not appealing to the eye.

A Lamborghini is appealing to the eye, but to a farmer, not very functional.

Globe-Gyms and gym equipment for them (which constitute the vast majority of equipment built) are designed in the most part by people who (maybe even rightly) think that appeal is a more important design consideration than functionality? I don't know, just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    A beat-up old pick-up truck is functional, but not appealing to the eye.

A Lamborghini is appealing to the eye, but to a farmer, not very functional.

Globe-Gyms and gym equipment for them (which constitute the vast majority of equipment built) are designed in the most part by people who (maybe even rightly) think that appeal is a more important design consideration than functionality? I don't know, just a guess.
    My guess is that a lot of gear is designed by people with no domain specific knowledge i.e. they never actually use the equipment themselves and don't understand the impact of their design choices.

If gyms keep buying them, manufacturers will keep selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekingman View Post
    My guess is that a lot of gear is designed by people with no domain specific knowledge i.e. they never actually use the equipment themselves and don't understand the impact of their design choices.
    It's not about the manufacturer, they just responds to the demands placed on them by the market, which is mostly people who don't deadlift enough to appreciate the functionality of a round plate and like the look of this type of plate.

If the OP and the people who are using non-round plate could stand to quit this type of gym and join a 4-spoke round plate gym, he and et al. would contribute to the change in the direction of demands. WE MUST JOIN THE FORCE AGAINST HEXAGON PLATES!

@OP: using only one pair of 20/25 kilos (i.e. only one pair of plates is the only contact point with the floor) may cause damage to them in the long run if you burden them with extra plates on the sides, as I suppose they are only tough enough to bear their own weights (is this a pun?) plus a little bit more of the bar and some smaller plates.

Yeah, it was more a rhetorical question. I haven't seen any other people in my gym do any exercise from the floor. I am the only one feeling the consequences of their choice of plates. Unfortunately, regular shaped plates of the right size are a bit too expensive for me. I will change to another gym in a couple of months anyways.

@Pekingman - are you actually in Peking?

I suspect the dodecahedral plates (12-sided) are in globo gyms precisely because they do not roll. Like roll across the floor into somebody, or chip their Hammerstrength equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post

@Pekingman - are you actually in Peking?
    Not at this moment, maybe back there later in the year. Yourself?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekingman View Post
    Not at this moment, maybe back there later in the year. Yourself?
    I live in Beijing. You're welcome to PM me if you are here, it would be nice to train with a like-minded person!