starting strength gym

Thread: "Top Squat" Barbell Attachment(?)

Default "Top Squat" Barbell Attachment(?)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Rip, what is your take on this marvel of modern technology? What might be the downside to using this attachment, besides never developing the arm/shoulder flexibilty required for normal squatting?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a cheap way to do "safety squats". And an excellent way to avoid about 2/3 of the benefits of squatting.

My pops uses one of these as his shoulders are so jacked up he absolutely cannot get in to any kind of squat position whatsoever.

One thing I've noticed is that it's difficult to get the bar into the low bar position with this gizmo, so he's being forced to high squat.

Other than that, it doesn't seem to be as bad as you say, Rip. It still requires full use of your trunk muscles to keep your back in extension, and the movement of your legs while you're using it seems to be exactly the same as for a high bar squat. There may be less arm work to stabilize the bar, but that's the only thing I've noticed so far.

Tor

I don't mean that it's completely without merit. It just a front squat, essentially, which leaves out the hamstrings. It's obviously better than leg pressing. Tell you dad he has my permission to continue.