starting strength gym

Thread: Yet another press/bench ratio question

Default Yet another press/bench ratio question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I had AC joint decompression surgery last December after following SS through a decent amount of linear novice gains - was just starting to really stall - 5RMs were Press:145 / Bench:235 / Squat:365 / DL:385. So my press was roughly 62% of my bench.

I'm finally catching up to my pre-surgery upper body strength levels. Current press 5RM is 150, but bench is lagging a bit at 210 5RM. So my press is now about 71% of my bench.

One of my goals is to press bodyweight (and to get down from 245 to about 215). However, I am very cautious when it comes to my shoulder(s), as I can't afford another major injury. My goal is to keep the shoulder girdle as balanced as possible and not to let the pursuit of goals (ie 315lb Bench, 200+ press, whatever) alter fundamentally sound training.

So, the question I have is - what would you say is a safe range for press/bench? Would 75% be excessive? 80%? Is 60% ideal, and I need to work them chesticles? I'd like to focus on keeping this ratio in check, but don't really have a target to aim for. I've seen you say 200 press, 300 bench, but wasn't sure if this was a ballpark off the cuff comment or not.

Many thanks. As an aside, I met you at Crossfit Eastside before your last cert' up here, and though I DL'd an ugly 220kg, I've taken the form advice we discussed, have added rack pulls into my routine, and am much stronger because of it. So it looks like I just have this shoulder to worry about, and not my back. Thanks again!

I think our standards shoot for somewhere around 65% of BP for a press. Bodyweight is a good goal, but not at the expense of your shoulder.