starting strength gym

Thread: Proper belt "fitting"/log books

Default Proper belt "fitting"/log books

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Rip,

BELTS -
    Read through the posts about using a weight belt & it seems you advocate the use of them & do not think they are "cheating".

Decided to see if it made a difference & was surprised to learn that it made a huge difference in that it forced me to pay attention to keeping the ab's & back rigid during squats, press & deadlifts. I thought I already was but was sadly mistaken.

Question is about correct "fitting"...what I did was before the lift would take a breath, apply the Valsava, tighten the ab's then tighten the belt to a "snug" but not tight fit.

Does this sound reasonable or should it fit tighter?

LOG BOOK -
    Keeping these damn things are a pain in the ass! However, after 5 months, they are a gold mine especially to see linear progression & the fact that I am getting stronger & can beat my friends asses more readily!
    Anyhow, I keep mine in an Excel spreadsheet so it can be sliced & diced. Sounds like you advocate using a hard-bound book. Any advice on the benefits of the book compared to Excel?

Stevo
    "[...regardless of what life throws at you, 200 lbs is always 200 lbs.]" Henry Rollins

BELTS - "take a breath, apply the Valsava, tighten the ab's then tighten the belt to a "snug" but not tight fit." Then, go one more hole tighter. This takes into account the effect of the weight on the bar.

LOG BOOK - "Any advice on the benefits of the book compared to Excel?" Uh, it doesn't take a computer to use it?

I actually will lose track of sets if i don't write down my reps for that set in between.

Even then i sometimes forget. "Did i write that set down yet?"

Yeah my brain doesn't function so well when i'm squatting heavy.