starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift - 290

Default deadlift - 290

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Very frustrating set. My hamstrings and back are up to the task by a wide margin, but as rip points out in the DL chapter, the back won't lift what the hands can't hold. Hows my form? sorry about the fuzziness, my camera is broken

YouTube

How am I meant to build accrue enough volume in my warmup sets to build grip strength without compromising recovery for the next squat session AND staving off fatigue already accumulated by setting a 3x5 squat PR 20 minutes before the bar hits the floor? I probably could have done this if I squatted 135, but at 265, it doesn't really seem viable.

I'm trying to get aggressive about solving this issue. Have any of you ever trained small-handed men on a more slender womens bar?

Why did you stop? Next time shoot more from the front oblique.

Are you using chalk? Double overhand? Or mixed grip? The video is really blurry and I couldn’t tell. Double overhand your warmups. Hold your last rep on your work set for 20 seconds if you want grip work.

Or try hook grip as well

Hello there. What grip are you using? I see you switched to the alternate grip before ending your set. Have you ever used a hook grip before? Also, chalk is a tremendous help when it comes to grip. It is like night and day.

As for the recovery question, your main sticking point on the deadlift is your grip, yes? You said your hamstrings and back are up to the task for lifting, so I doubt that the stress from the squats is the problem here. Your squats shouldn't be causing you much fatigue in your hands, unless the squats are causing you to experience some kind of bicep tendonitis. How do your elbows feel after you squat? Your shoulders? When I had bicep tendonitis in my shoulders, some days it was so bad that I wasn't able to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Why did you stop? Next time shoot more from the front oblique.

Are you using chalk? Double overhand? Or mixed grip? The video is really blurry and I couldn’t tell. Double overhand your warmups. Hold your last rep on your work set for 20 seconds if you want grip work.
    I stopped because the second rep basically fell out of my hands. The two makes were both double overhand, and I tried to switch to mixed on the third one, but it wasn't coming up. My gym doesn't allow chalk and I'm looking hard at finding a place that does, but is it really that important for a person who can't hook grip because his fingers aren't long enough to get in an advantageous position atop the bone of his thumb? I've definitely got to find a way around the slick hands, but that can't be all of the problem.

Chalk makes a tremendous difference and so does doing your top weights with reverse grip. I think those two changes will make a tremendous difference. I start using chalk at 225 and I start using reverse grip at 275. I've gone from starting to chalk at 175 three years ago to 225 today. I've gone from using reverse grip at 200 three years ago to 275 today. Of course I'm 70. The growth in strength will doubtless move faster but the principle is the same. It takes time and repetition. I have girly hands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    My gym doesn't allow chalk and I'm looking hard at finding a place that does
    Sneak it in

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I stopped because the second rep basically fell out of my hands. The two makes were both double overhand, and I tried to switch to mixed on the third one, but it wasn't coming up. My gym doesn't allow chalk and I'm looking hard at finding a place that does, but is it really that important for a person who can't hook grip because his fingers aren't long enough to get in an advantageous position atop the bone of his thumb? I've definitely got to find a way around the slick hands, but that can't be all of the problem.
    Use liquid chalk. Or find a new gym. Seriously. If you have small hands use mixed for your heavy set. Keep trying the hook but it’s no big deal if u can’t. Many have deadlifts have been pulled with a mixed grip