starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I would like some feedback on my squat form please. I am about 8 weeks into my second attempt of LP following an injury and reached 137.5kg on the weekend.

Cheers

YouTube

The bar looks like it's resting a bit high. When you drop, don't lean forward it looks like your heels want to come up and you push forward with the knees. When I say don't lean forward, I'm not talking about bending over forward, I'm talking about creating a moment arm and pushing onto your toes. Hopefully that makes sense?

There are other minor problems, but I think in fixing the first two maybe the others will fix themselves?

Obviously generic advice such as stay tighter, more controlled, etc also apply.

You need to sit back more at the bottom. Drive up with your hips all the way up. Your stance looks a touch wide. Also, your upper back is weak: think shoulder blades together and chest up.

Thank you, I will make some adjustments in my session tomorrow.

Today's attemp.
    Lowered the weight, lowered the bar, narrowed my stance and focussed on not coming forward onto my toes.
    YouTube

Good work Jurdy.
    I think you need to try to push your butt back a bit more, as you tend to let your knees slide a bit to far forward, and throughout the entire descent. It looks to me like the bar path is coming forward. This is fairly easy to manage when the weight is light, and the bar speed tells us that this is still moderately light for you.

As your shoulders loosen up, you'll want to try to get your hands in closer, and wrists a little flatter.

Hello.

Here's what I see.

Your wrists need to be flat. Currently they're in extension. Try to bring them in a little bit and puff your chest out like you're King Kong or Superman. Your hips need to go back a bit further. And your knees need to get set earlier. Think about pushing your knees out and hips back at the same time. Keep at it!

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I love the King Kong & Superman description 😁

Quote Originally Posted by jurdy View Post
    Today's attemp.
    Lowered the weight, lowered the bar, narrowed my stance and focussed on not coming forward onto my toes.
    YouTube
    Looks much better! See if you can maintain that as you increase the weight back up. How did it feel?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Looks much better! See if you can maintain that as you increase the weight back up. How did it feel?
    Felt good, changing the bar position definitely put more pressure on the wrists as mentioned in the feedback and my feet felt more solid. The lighter weight definitely helped, I will add more weight Thursday and review after each set to see how the form goes.
    Thank you to everyone for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast