starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalling on TX Method - advice please

Default Stalling on TX Method - advice please

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm fairly new to powerlifting and love it. I've learned a lot from Starting Strength - the 2 books I bought are heavily worn in a short period. I'm 40 y.o., 5' 10", 190lbs. I've lifted on and off since my late teens, but never committed to a program and was totally unfamiliar with powerlifting (never really squatted or deadlifted regularly). It all changed last June when I was trying to find an efficient workout online (I have 4 kids!). Since then I have dedicated myself to powerlifting (very consistent 3x week).

I started with a 5x5 model with no accessories. I moved my squat from 155 (5x5) to 270 (5x5) in 4 months. Since then I've moved my squat up to 330 (1x5) using the TX Method. I did a stint of something called Mad Cow in between but didn't like it.

From June 2014 to March 2015 (now almost 9 months), I've made the following gains:
    body weight 175 to 190
    squat 155 (5x5) to 330 (1x5)
    bench 155 (5x5) to 235 (1x5)
    dead 185 (1x5) to 385 (1x5)

My problem is: I am stalling on the squat and the bench. Squats are getting really ugly on my intensity day (mostly pitching forward, stuck just out of the hole). I am missing the fourth and fifth rep. I can grind out a rep when I get stuck but it's all lower back (yikes). Volume day is 85% of the 5RM that week and it is a hard workout but I get through it (my most recent volume day squat was 290 5x5). The deadlift comes relatively easy and I can see it increasing for at least a few more weeks.

I follow a pretty normal TX method template with a few customizations...I added a deadlift session on volume day, 2 or 3 sets of 5 at 85% of the 5RM for the week (so I deadlift 2x week). I also recently added front squats for volume on intensity day and I use high bar squats on recovery day - both to aid in quad development and hopefully help my heavy low bar form. I've also added close grip bench for volume on intensity day. I do some other accessories like chins and curls but save them for last.

I really stress about these inflection points in my training. I hate switching programs and I want TX method to last for a long time (with the right adjustments of course).

My question is: What should I do to help my progression at this point? Should I deload and reset weights down 5-10%? Should I just deload the volume weights to 70-80% of 5RM? Should I continue repeating a week until I complete it (hitting all 5 reps on intensity day)? Should I switch to triples? Should I take a month and do volume work?

Right now, I'm thinking of resetting weights back 5-10% and continue working on the front squat to improve quads, and more close grip bench.

I would love to hear what an experienced coach would say. I'd also be curious to hear if anyone has taken a break to do strictly volume and work on size/hypertrophy to further their strength gains long term. Thanks in advance. -Ryan

See if you can't increase calories to start climbing bodyweight up closer to 210-220. Also, let's get a look at your squat form. I bet you've stopped driving with your hips when it gets heavy.

Thanks Andy. I could probably eat a bit more, though I feel like I am eating a lot now. I count protein and probably average ~120 grams/day (perhaps that is not enough). In the back of my mind, I was hoping to get a 400 squat at ~200lbs in the next year or so. Regardless, getting to 400 is the goal, along with 500 deadlift and 300 bench. I'll get a vid of my squat this week (preferably the intensity day I assume) and post it. I'm on a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday schedule so i'll do that this weekend.

Thanks Andy. I'll post my 5RM from my intensity day this weekend. For my volume day (tomorrow), I'm thinking of keeping the weight the same as last week. I think I'm accumulating some fatigue that is impacting intensity day. More weight on my body could help with that I guess.

There is a ton of info on the forum about stalls and what to do, it is exhausting to sift through. I'm going to slightly change single inputs to the equation and see how it goes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanGetStronger View Post
    Thanks Andy. I'll post my 5RM from my intensity day this weekend. For my volume day (tomorrow), I'm thinking of keeping the weight the same as last week. I think I'm accumulating some fatigue that is impacting intensity day. More weight on my body could help with that I guess.

There is a ton of info on the forum about stalls and what to do, it is exhausting to sift through. I'm going to slightly change single inputs to the equation and see how it goes for me.
    120g is too low. If you're 190 and need to gain weight you need to be at like 200-250g/day.

Drop a set or 2 from the VD and see what happens

Did my VD this morning and dropped 1 set. Completed 4 squat sets at 290, which is about 88% of my 5RM of 330. Felt very good. Your comment about the hips got me thinking and I focused on pushing my hips forward to lock out the weight. This made me feel more powerful and helped with speed overall. I basically focused on pushing the hips forward at the middle of the concentric movement (just like pushing them through to lock out my deadlift). Not sure if that's what you meant exactly Andy, but it seemed to help today and I'm going to focus on it this week - thanks.

I had enough in me to do a fifth set, but it felt great to leave a little on the table. Also did 5x5 bench at 205, CG Bench 2 sets of 12 at 155, and deadlift 2 sets of 5 at 325. Curls to keep my elbows healthy.

I am upping the protein intake starting today, already have 140 grams down. I love to eat, but it takes focus to get 200+ grams of protein.

Looking forward to intensity day.

Pushing the his forward is NOT what I meant, but I'm glad whatever you did helped. Using your hips means HIP DRIVE. It's kinda of what the entire SS model of the squat is built around. Pushing your hips forward takes your hamstrings out of the movement and puts you in your quads. Read the squat chapter in SS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    See if you can't increase calories to start climbing bodyweight up closer to 210-220. Also, let's get a look at your squat form. I bet you've stopped driving with your hips when it gets heavy.
    Ok, ID completed and successful. I got the 5RM at 335 on the squat though it was a grind and the form is eh. Videos attached. Any feedback welcome. Thanks again Andy. I think the additional protein calories were helpful. Knocking a set off VD didn't hurt either which is helpful to know going forward.
    Last warm up set at 305:
    http://youtu.be/9WtxncdkCXE
    5RM at 335
    http://youtu.be/e_0v_ioK5oo

Your 335 vid is private. Change setting to public so I can view

starting strength coach development program
    Duh. Here's a new link. I had to re-upload.
    https://youtu.be/zm83K9ANhbU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast