starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifts with Assistance Exercises and Backoff Method

Default Deadlifts with Assistance Exercises and Backoff Method

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I’m 59 years old and weigh 175lbs. I’ve been using the back off method for a while now as depicted in PPST page 233 and it’s been going well. A while back my deadlift stalled at 330lbs. I couldn’t even break the floor with it. Based on what I read in your new book Barbell Prescription I did halting’s and rack pulls for eight weeks. Then I decided I needed to get back to actual deadlifts. I started out at 320lbs just to see and all five reps went fine. The next week I did 325lbs (my previous PR) and it too went fine. So the following week I figured what the heck and did 330lbs and it went fine (the last rep was a struggle). This week I decided to give 335lbs a try and got in three good reps. I figured I’d just go back to the back off method and this next week try for four reps and carry on from there and when I stall again head back to the assistance exercises.

My question is that a good plan or should I be more conservative and head back to the halting and rack pulls for say four weeks in an alternating cycle with actual deadlifts? Thanks for any and all advice.

Hard to say. I think you'd probably do fine to get 1 or 2 back sets for some volume after your main workset and that might be enough stimulus to help you add a rep each workout. Just try and see and aim for 335x4 at the next session. Try and keep your backoffs as heavy as you can for 5 good reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Hard to say. I think you'd probably do fine to get 1 or 2 back sets for some volume after your main workset and that might be enough stimulus to help you add a rep each workout. Just try and see and aim for 335x4 at the next session. Try and keep your backoffs as heavy as you can for 5 good reps.
    Perfect thanks!