starting strength gym

Thread: KSC Power Building versus Strength and Mass after 40 programs

Default KSC Power Building versus Strength and Mass after 40 programs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Andy,

I purchased both Power Building and Strength and Mass after 40 download programs. I wanted to ask you about the 8 5 2 rep scheme in the Power Building program. I will be 58 later this year and I've heard Mark Rippetoe tell masters lifters to keep reps of core exercises down to 5, stay away from 10s and 20s. Is the 8 5 2 rep scheme applicable for masters? I am in reasonable shape, not overweight or deconditioned. Obviously the 5 3 1 rep scheme is for masters due to the title of the program (after 40), wanted to ask if the Power Building rep scheme can be used by us older guys.

Thank you.

Sets of 8 are okay if you are in decent condition. Just be careful the first time around. The PowerBuilding program obviously includes much more higher rep assistance work than does the Over 40 program, so that is where I'd be careful with total volume, rep ranges, and exercise selection. You can do either program, but you'll have to modify the Power Building program much more so to fit your age.

Default Cardio with the programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Sets of 8 are okay if you are in decent condition. Just be careful the first time around. The PowerBuilding program obviously includes much more higher rep assistance work than does the Over 40 program, so that is where I'd be careful with total volume, rep ranges, and exercise selection. You can do either program, but you'll have to modify the Power Building program much more so to fit your age.
    Thanks Andy, I'll start with the Over 40 program. I'd like to ask what days in either (or any barbell) programming does cardio fit in. I really liked your article about motorless treadmill walking to mimic prowler push. I own a treadmill so I've been doing 10 minutes (6 ON 5 OFF minute intervals) and 15 minutes (8 ON 7 OFF) sessions. My question is what days should I do the HIIT work? I've heard various opinions - 1) Do HIIT on OFF days to create another training effect 2) Don't do on OFF days because I need the rest 3) Don't do the day before HEAVY squats/deads because you don't want to compromise those lifts. I think your Barbell book says 20 minutes after a workout or on an OFF day. I guess it doesn't much matter as long as I don't compromise my barbell training?

Thank you.

Post workout or off days is fine. Timing is dependent on the nature of the cardio you are doing and all the associated variables (modality, time, distance, eccentric loading, etc). I typically avoid things on the day before a heavy squat day, although in the past I have pushed a prowler and dragged a sled the day before squats and/or deads and it really wasn't an issue.