starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking a long time to squat

Default Taking a long time to squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Lately it's been taking me 45 minutes to finish my squat routine from warm-up to work sets. I'm 40, 5'6", 175 lbs, and my current work set is 225 lbs. that doesn't leave much time for anything else.

Does anyone have advice on how to program around this? Should I squat twice a week or perhaps keep squatting three times a week and do Bench, Press, etc. on my non-squat days?

Thanks for any help.

Sunil

How long are the warmups taking you?

Quote Originally Posted by rao00010 View Post
    Lately it's been taking me 45 minutes to finish my squat routine from warm-up to work sets. I'm 40, 5'6", 175 lbs, and my current work set is 225 lbs. that doesn't leave much time for anything else.

Does anyone have advice on how to program around this? Should I squat twice a week or perhaps keep squatting three times a week and do Bench, Press, etc. on my non-squat days?

Thanks for any help.

Sunil
    Quit effing' around and knock out them sets. Stop posing and flexin' yo triceps in da mirrors. And chill out with yo game between sets, women aren't interested.

jk

ha! I work out at 5 am. No one there except for 2 other old men on the ellipticals. there are a lot of mirrors, but my triceps definitely aren't worth looking at.

Just to clarify - the whole thing from first warm-up with the empty bar through my last rep of my work out sets takes 45 min. I rest quite a bit in between so my warm ups take about 15-20 min; I rest at least 5 min in between each work set. I injured myself a few months ago and am trying to avoid that.

Sunil

You are resting longer then 5 minutes then or your warmups are taking longer then 20 minutes or both.

Warmup 20 minutes + set 1 30 seconds + rest 5 min + set 2 30 sec + rest 5 min + set 3 30 sec = 31.5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rao00010 View Post
    ha! I work out at 5 am. No one there except for 2 other old men on the ellipticals. there are a lot of mirrors, but my triceps definitely aren't worth looking at.

Just to clarify - the whole thing from first warm-up with the empty bar through my last rep of my work out sets takes 45 min. I rest quite a bit in between so my warm ups take about 15-20 min; I rest at least 5 min in between each work set. I injured myself a few months ago and am trying to avoid that.

Sunil

If your injury isn't impeding your lifts, try not to take so long between the warm up sets. The time you need to take off collars, put in plates, and put back collars, and prepare to unrack, should be enuff time to start the next set. Take some time for your working sets however. 3-5 minutes at most for me. I wager that you daydream between sets at that time in the morning.

What program are you following, SS or Texas Method? I do the TM, volume day on Sunday, and it probably takes me 45 minutes to get the warmups and 4 work sets in, too. I just go into my Sundays knowing it is going to be a 2:00 + hour workout.

As I've gotten somewhat stronger I have cut out some stages in the warmups. I currently do 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 235 x 2 (only have two 45lb plates at home), 245 x 1 and 270 x 5 x 4. I take 5-6 minute rest between work sets.
    Last edited by jimk; 12-13-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Yeah - you're probably right. I'm resting too long in between warm ups. It is pretty darn early so I probably let my mind wander a bit too. I'm still doing SS although progress has been slow.

Sunil

I always take one hour to do my squat workout. Doesn't matter if it's 5x5 or 3x5, it always takes a fuckload of time.

starting strength coach development program
    dont limit the amount of rest between sets, wait till you feel ready. limiting the amount of rest is a good way to lower the probability of completing the set and therefor harder to maintain good form. however, rush through the warmup, it'll get you warmed up better and shave some time off.

oh, and start taking creatine if you aren't. that cut my rest between sets by half!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast