starting strength gym

Thread: Training and climbing

Default Training and climbing

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm looking to get back into rock climbing regularly again, but this will the first time I've done it while seriously strength training (I used to do an isolation workout while climbing), and I'm wondering on which days I should climb. I usually lift MWF (SS); do you guys think training and climbing on alternating days will hinder my recovery, or will squats and presses on the same day overly fatigue the shoulder girdle and make my climbing time less productive/safe? Thanks in advance for the advice.

This very topic is discussed in a competitive sense here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ght=bouldering

I think it will apply to your situation a well.

Much Luck.

-Hat

Are you talking gym climbing or outside stuff? I think it really depends on the type of climbing you're doing. If you're doing a lot of tough, dynamic bouldering or indoor sport routes, I can definitely see this getting in the way of your recovery. As for myself, I find that squats and presses aggravate my elbow issues, which I trace back to my bouldering days. I can't even imagine doing both, my joints would just fall apart.

That was an interesting thread. I was a little surprised how hard it was for folks to tease out the subtle distinction between "stronger is better" and "EXCESSIVE lean body mass gains are detrimental to bodyweight sports." I was interested by the guy who said that focusing on climbing-specific grip strength after he gained some weight brought his climbing performance back up to previous levels. Something to keep in mind.

I think I'm going to try to top out my weight gain at about 170; I'm 5'10'' and my previous best climbing was at ~140. And I'll be sure to spend a lot of time on my hang board.

Some of the posters in that thread are so stupid it blows my mind. Some obvious points that need to be made:

1) If you stop climbing, do SS and then start climbing again after you've completed SS, it'll take you a while to get back to your previous level. Duh. If you want to be good at climbing then you're going to have to climb.

2) There is, certainly, a point at which gaining more bodyweight - even if you're still gaining strength - will be detrimental to your climbing. You know, diminishing returns and all that. However, you won't find this point until you get there. And do you know what you do when you get there? You stop gaining weight, and lose a little bit if you have to. It's not like you gain a bunch of weight and you're stuck with it for life. If you're too heavy, just lose some weight.