starting strength gym

Thread: Weird soreness in abdominal section

Default Weird soreness in abdominal section

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey,

I was doing SS a while ago and tore a double inguinal hernia on some squats. After an open operation with mesh, 8 weeks and a fair bit of undereating I'm back at square one.

I'm understandably paranoid about any more abdominal tears, and am wondering if anyone else is getting the same pain I am? I'm getting some soreness about 1.5 inches below my navel, and also some pain on the right edge of my abdominus rectus. I'm getting concerned about this, and am considering slowing down the program and throwing in more ab work, as they are fairly weak right now.

If anyone has any ideas on what the soreness might be, I'd appreciate the input, or any ideas on how to modify the program to incorporate more ab work as it is a weak point.

Do you use a belt when you squat? If not, you might want to start, and wear it low in front.

????
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you think it'll help, I'll order a belt ASAP. Thanks, I do not want to shred up my midsection any more (especially since I'd got a small dent on the bottom of my ribcage from a bad fall, and it might have tweaked the ab muscles a little, placement-wise).