starting strength gym

Thread: Finding a starting 5x5 weight

Default Finding a starting 5x5 weight

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find it. I'm headin towards starting the TX method for my Squats and I'm wondering what is the best way to find the highest 5x5 weight I can use (or if I should even be using the highest 5x5 weight possible). My stats are 6'2 240lbs and my squat is at 330lbs 3x5 i'm really gonna try to get it to 350 before I start TX method though. Thanks for the help and I hope i'm not beating a dead horse with this question.

Don't worry about using the "highest weight possible." This will not only be almost impossible to determine, but it will limit how long you can go until you stall out. Personally, I'd start with about 85% of what you're doing with 3x5. So if you get up to 350 on linear progression, start your 5x5 with 300. Keep in mind, not only are you doing 2 extra sets (~2000lbs more total tonnage), but you'll be doing the heavy day on Friday, give your body a chance to adjust. Don't be afraid to start on the light side and embrace fast improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Don't worry about using the "highest weight possible." This will not only be almost impossible to determine, but it will limit how long you can go until you stall out. Personally, I'd start with about 85% of what you're doing with 3x5. So if you get up to 350 on linear progression, start your 5x5 with 300. Keep in mind, not only are you doing 2 extra sets (~2000lbs more total tonnage), but you'll be doing the heavy day on Friday, give your body a chance to adjust. Don't be afraid to start on the light side and embrace fast improvement.

+1

Some others beat up this idea in the past when I suggested it before, but starting light on TM worked pretty good for me for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie karnick View Post
    my squat is at 330lbs 3x5 i'm really gonna try to get it to 350 before I start TX method though..
    Don't move to the Texas Method just because you hit some arbitrary weight. You move onto an intermediate progression when become an intermediate - ie, when the novice the progression is tapped out. Read the last couple pages of the Novice Chapter in PP.

im not getting to an arbitrary weight then starting the tm. i feel like im pretty close to stalling at 330 what i should have said was that i'm hoping to get to 350 before i stall. obviously if i feel i can get past 350 i would press on. so i guess slow and steady wins the race in terms of 5x5 weight, that's what i figured. thanks for the help guys.

starting strength coach development program
    don't overthink it.

if you get to 350x3, then try something like 330 for the 5x5

if it is too much, drop the weight

if you can hit it, move forward

no biggie