starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check, hip pain

Default Squat check, hip pain

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello, I'd like my squat form to be reviewed once again.
    I've experienced pain doing squats since last week, I played with my stance a little but it's always there : when I reach the bottom and I'm about to go up, I feel a sharp pain in my right hip (impingement ?), and then it stays, I feel it when I raise my leg while seated.
    (though it doesn't occur at very light weight and it fades away during rest days)

I recorded my last set today :

I would appreciate it if you could help me figure out what I do wrong, thanks.

Nothing super obvious there. Your knees do appear to flash in for a moment right around the bottom, but I cannot say whether that's the cause of the pain - I've seen much more knee cave not causing any pain. It's very dependent on the individual, but it couldn't hurt to keep your knees out better.

It also looks like the bar might be just slightly too low on your back, and your wrists are flexed back instead of neutral. Also, keep your feet on the ground.

marcf Guest

In late April and most of the month of May, I was having really bad hip pain, too. It might not be the case here, but not exaggerating my toe point (it was almost to about 45 degrees, and it almost looks like the same in that video) so much helped instantly. My stance was about an inch or so too wide and my toes were pointed out way too much. As a result, I was shoving my knees out so much I was practically doing the splits and my hips were killing me.

Maybe point your toes inward ever so slightly and see if that helps?

I did notice his slightly exaggerated toe point out, but I've never seen that be the direct cause of the kind of hip pain he complained of. That certainly doesn't mean it couldn't be the case, however. Worth a try.

marcf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I did notice his slightly exaggerated toe point out, but I've never seen that be the direct cause of the kind of hip pain he complained of. That certainly doesn't mean it couldn't be the case, however. Worth a try.
    It was very strange, especially in my case. Because my toes were pointed out so much and I was trying desperately to make sure my knees tracked over my toes, I was really stretching my groin and experiencing pain right about the same place as OP did (at the bottom of the squat just before coming up).

I spent days looking at stupid hip mobility videos on YouTube until a SSC told me to try turning my toes inward just slightly and bring in my wide stance an inch. I almost felt stupid for how quickly that alleviated my pain after trying lacrosse balls, foam rollers and hip exercises that made me look like I was humping the floor.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that out today : first I reduced my feet angle to 15-20°, it didn't really work because they tend to get back to 40° anyway. (it worked for the first reps). And then I narrowed my stance dramatically to a less than shoulder width stance, 30°+ feet angle, it felt the best. I think I'll give it a break for a few days - no squatting - and try again.

Is such a stance any good ? Squat check 07 - YouTube (sorry, they moved the rack, my feet can only be seen in the mirror)

stupid hip mobility videos on YouTube
    lol, I've been there too. I'd rather let it heal.

From what I can tell, and, trust me, I cannot tell that much from a video where I have to look at your feet in a mirror, that is not a dramatically less than shoulder width stance. It may be about right, or just a half inch or an inch narrower than normal. Whatever the case, it is not a large deviation, but I would need to see a better video to say something intelligent. The bigger problem in those squats is how little hip drive there is. You are lifting your chest almost the whole way. Drive your butt up the whole way. Also, eat a sandwich. Maybe two or three.

Glad I waited to post. I was just about to make the exact same post as OP yesterday night. Pesky impingey feelings in the front at the hip crease, pain when raising knee, please look at my squat. I bet it also sucks to put on socks/shoes right?

FWIW, I listened to a podcast in which another SS coach, Rori Alter, mentioned she has femoral acetabular impingement and squats narrower w/feet pointed out more, and characterized it as a frog. I'm going to narrow up my stance by an inch or two and hope it works. I've had this pain in my left hip before, then it went away and now it's in my right. I think I've crept a few inches wider than textbook as I've felt it easier to get rebound and reach depth, that is, until it starts to hurt as a mofo when I'm not squatting.

marcf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laughter95 View Post
    I bet it also sucks to put on socks/shoes right?
    When it got bad for me, it also hurt to get in and out of my car. And now it's starting to come back in my other hip, too.

starting strength coach development program
    Back and forth leg swings for a warmup, helped me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast